Superbiens var curtisii, Superbiens var. superbiens superbiens var .???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Reaction score
I have a small collection of P. superbiens of different origin, but have a feeling that most of them are wild-collected. I do not know for scertain though. Several of them have come into my custody under fake names, and some as superbiens.
The first one was supposed to be a sangii, but turned out to be the "original superbiens" here it is, this year blooming(now)
IMG_0862.jpg

together With a "normal"(right) superbiens (last year)
080720151891.jpg

The leaves of these two are quite similar(the "normal" in front
080720151888.jpg

so , seems to have a bit narrower leaves but except for that no difference.
Then there was this mysterious plant that also came as a sangii but from another source
181120152104.jpg

I had an enquiry in another thread
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39785
and among the suggestions were Erics superbiens var. curtisii.
Now it flowers;
IMG_0859.jpg

here are the leaves once again
IMG_0868.jpg

Now they seems to have greened up and is it var. curtisii we have in front of us?
I think it was Leo that stated inb another thread that leaves were not a conservative trait when identifying paphs, and this should be one example that they may change over time.

Ok, superbiens , curtisii and the "original" superbiens, and then another one excuse the bad photo;
IMG_0883.jpg

It is not easily seen from the photo but the petals are not as reflexed as expected for a superbiens and the coloration is more green, similar to the "original" one as it was depicted in the early paintings. more about that in this thread:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13058
The leaves are normal superbiens. The petals do reflex, but then they are green... could this be anb Intermediate variety, or are they all one variety?
What are Your comments guys?

I thought that is sangii??

Anyways, this topic is just full of confusion and mystery.
I don't think anyone has the answer.

Also, the "original" superbiens, especially one with petals that are not downswept look so much like common hybrids that I used to see, like boxfull!!! They were all heavily "curtisii" and sukhakulii.
Not saying that's what yours is, but saying it looks like it.

I have two in bloom and one opening up, all bought as curtisii.
will post pictures once the last one opens up fully.
They are all basically disappointment to me as I was looking for very dark chocolate flowers.

Eric, those are the leaves of the special superbiens;)
Happy, you might be right, always possible, we will probably never know, but I think it is the real stuff. The variety emerged in Europe, and was identified as the original superbiens in a publication by Holger Perner. Think it was in OrchideenJournal. In German though......

Well, the foliage is more permanent than the flowers....even if superbiens flowers are long-lasting.....

Orchideenjournal is hard to get, I have just read excerpts of that paper myself.

Eric, the plant had seeds last year that was conveyed to Hilmar Bauch of Asendorf. He used to have the type as well before and he identified it when he saw it. So perhaps he will offer that superbiens in a few years time?

I am getting confused myself, seems that I must re-assess my stock, regarding what is superbiens and what is curtisii, seems that I never get it right...Eric, once more; which is which, is it the greyish leaves that are curtisii and the green that are superbiens, or was it opposite?:rollhappy:

I'm stuck posting from a phone. If you search posts of superbiens v. curtsii by me you will see the foliage it is silvery green with regularly spaced spots and usually wide.

Bjorn-

didn't you say that silvery great leaves turned green?
If that's the case, I don't think going by the leaves is the sure way to distinguish these two, either.

Also, I was once at a nursery with lots of medium sized seedlings of curtisii that came from the same flask. The leaves were not uniform in color/pattern.

You could always reference a professionals book such as Prof guido Braem.

Cribb says, "curtsii....can be distinguished by its petals which are narrower and shorter than the typical variety the petals always being shorter than the lip."

But those first parts where he says narrower and shorter means nothing.
All relative and too vague.
Plus, they all tend to have curled petals, so..

Tricky question, have to check some older literature I guess. Not that it matters too much, in my opinion they are all superbiens (or was it curtisii????)

Thanks a lot, saw your post on curtisii, seems that I had it wrong, thinking superbiens was curtisii and vice versa.

Bjorn

Do you think the "sangi" import could be a clue to the collection site or just to throw off people from knowing where it actually came from?

At least in Birk's book both superbiens and curtisii are both from Sumatra, while sangii is listed from Palu and Sulawesi (I've also heard Ambon island).

The geography of slipper systematics is potentially helpful in recognizing species, but it certainly is full of fraudulent data too.

Latest posts

Back