Summering paphs outdoors

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

Someone, I can't remember who, asked how to keep rain out of the crowns during heavy rain storms so I thought I would show you something we rigged up besides my tent to help.
OrchidDSC012.jpg

I forgot to say that my phrags are on the LHS but I don't protect them as they have done well over the years avoiding crown rot plus the spikes can get too high.Paphs that are in bloom or have tall spikes are in the tent.The new 'paph shelter' has worked really well during the awful rainy weather we had a while back.Rai can blow in & get some leaves wet which is fine but the crowns stay dry.
OrchidDSC013.jpg

These are my phrags under the trees beside the paph canopy.

Cool, I love the PVC, totally customizable. I have to work out a setup like this.....once I have as many paphs as Jane I mean. ;)

I never worry about water in the crowns of paphs and phrags outdoors. Its different from an indoor situation, and air movement prevents a lot of potential rot, even when the rains are during the night... This summer has had some heavy rains- 2" last Wed, followed by high 90's the past 2 days...but I've left my budded paphs outdoors...they are fine. I have a sukhahulii about to open within the week, a barbigerum soon after...concolor is fine and 1 of my complex crosses even set a bud...Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back