Sumi Balls

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
I saw this product posted on the GW and think it's pretty clever. I have no idea if it would work well for s/h, but maybe would be worth an experiment on a throw away plant. Plus it comes in a rainbow of colors. Some are pretty fugly, but it's an interesting concept.

http://www.sumiball.com/about.htm

Ah, no. I'm very happy with my current growing medium. Why don't you import some blue balls, Eric?

They claim the charcoal will filter out all of the "bad' stuff, but I don't think charcoal discriminates between bad and good stuff and won't it also filter out fertilizer?

Yeah, I was pretty sure they could give some to me and I could prove I could still grow algae along w/ my S/H plants despite their claims...would be handy if it worked as advertised though.

Good idea, Ron. I can't stand garrish looking balls. Or you could always go with the good old black and blue? Is that passe?

This product just appeared in the new Lee Valley catalog update (Canadian). It is only offered in terra cotta and is fairly expensive ($17 per kilogram). I might be tempted to try it but only if lasts or could be reused (rinsed or leached out). So my question is, if I wash my (Sumi) balls can I use them again somewhere else? :D

Shaun

You cannot reuse them I am afraid. If the ceramic is porous, it will allow anything to crystallize inside, so it would be a painful process to wash them. Maybe dip in acid for some days...

The name is strange... Sumi balls, at first I was wondering if it was spam for sex toys...

Ron, were you able to find a US distributor? They do look pretty cool in aquariums. And they may look artsy if used to topdress a pot. I don't think I'd ever use it as a plant medium, though.

Latest posts

Back