Suggestions to Cross with Paph Varvara

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pollinate my Paph Varvara 'Penn Valley' AM/AOS and I'm interested in ideas from the group.
PaphVarvaraPennValley.jpg

Feel free to come up with any ideas. Below are pictures of plants I have to help you get started, but please don't limit yourself to these ideas. I have pollen from many other species and hybrids.

The first idea would be a remake: Paph Varvara x charlesworthii = Paph Margaret Rose , one AOS award.
Paphcharlesworthiiplant.jpg

Paph Harbur 'Perfection' HCC/AOS
PaphHarburPerfection.jpg

Paph Via Luna Este 'China Doll' AM/AOS
PaphViaLunaEsteChinaDoll.jpg

Oh, I do like it when you have these little 'contests'!

My vote is for either the complex white, howard king (improved shape) or for barbi doll (another shot of fairianum and hopefully will make the plant smaller)

Let us know what you decide!

Kyle

OK ... firstly I'm a complete beginner and know nothing about paph breeding ...
but I'd go for Barbi-Doll ... for me both have a nice "open" structure and why go destroy this elegant form with something round and squat! Besides I like small and perky.
Cheers,
Tim

I think Parvara is already to "busy" to add more spots or textures.

I would put it on the complex white or via luna este.

By the way, how often do your crosses take? I've been trying some big phal crosses with little success.

Paphreek, I've been looking for your Varvara clone for several years. I had this same plant, but it succumbed to a really bad scale infestation. I'd love to buy a division from you or trade....please shoot me an e-mail. Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments, so far. I should have given you more info about Varvara. It is a complex x species cross of fairrieanum x Clair de Lune. Clair de Lune through a combining in four generations of crosses is comprised of lawreceanum, callosum and cutisii. The leaves have the thin shape of fairrieanum, but are longer. The flowers are perched atop a 30 cm. stem with these dimensions: Natural spread: about 8.5cm, doral width about 5cm.

Rick, I'm just guessing, but I'd say I get about 50% pollination success. Of those 50%, some have very little viable seed. Success can vary depending on what type of cross, also. For instance, I pollinated 6 Barbi-Doll's and used their pollen on two other plants for a total of eight crosses. Only two of the Barbi-Dolls are currently holding capsules. That's an initial succes rate of 25%. Time will tell if the seed is viable.

I have Paph Varvara "Searle 13" which has an HCC/AOS. I would guess that your clone is pretty similar in flower and plant size. The coloration is very close. The plant and flowers are closer to fairreanum than Claire de Lune.

It sort of depends on what your goals are for the hybrid. I would line breed it to fairreanum or try something new like henryanum. Henryanum will enhance the spotting on the dorsal, perhaps bringing some green background. It has a tendency to breed pink pouches which would be very nice with Varvara, and the petals will still deflect down similar to Varvara with dark color. It would be a variable darkly colored hybrid of dwarf character.

The other choices wouldn't really enhance the Varvara in my opinion.

I agree that a back cross to fairrieanum would be interesting. I can, however, get flasks of Varvara x fairrieanum from Orchidaceae, Inc. Purchasing a flask or two from them would save another year or two over trying the cross myself. http://www.orchidaceae.com/flasks.cfm?section=14 Right now, I'm leaning toward putting charlesworthii on Varvara, and using some of the Varvara pollen on Barbi-Doll and henryanum. The henryanum is a first bloom with four growths and I'm just waiting to see how the dorsal turns out before using it to breed or not.:) Thanks for all the great comments! I look forward to more.

Using an alba on a colored parent will produce all colored progeny. A sib cross or selfing on the next generation might produce some alba clones. Even albas crossed with each other don't always produce albas......

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill x fairrieanum = Oto.
Winston Churchill x Varvara = Awesome...

Make that cross and I'll buy a couple flasks...

littlefrog said:
Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill x fairrieanum = Oto.
Winston Churchill x Varvara = Awesome...

Make that cross and I'll buy a couple flasks...

I could do (Varvara x Winston Churchill 'Indomitable') or (Winston Chuchill 'Redoubtable' x Varvara). Unfortunately my 'Indomitable' clone is not in good enough shape to carry a pod this year.

paphreek said:
I could do (Varvara x Winston Churchill 'Indomitable') or (Winston Chuchill 'Redoubtable' x Varvara). Unfortunately my 'Indomitable' clone is not in good enough shape to carry a pod this year.

I'd offer my "Redoubtable" if it were in bloom. I suspect WC as the pod parent would be better, but it might work either way.

Latest posts

Back