Suggestions to Cross with Paph Varvara

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys know the ploidy of Winston Churchill? 2N, 3N or 4N?

Kyle

I vote rothschildianum...of course.

Another I would like to see is your Varvara crossed with tigrinum, making a darker possilby more colorful Bailey Kalina.

Jon
________
Buy glass bongs

Last edited:
littlefrog said:
I'd offer my "Redoubtable" if it were in bloom. I suspect WC as the pod parent would be better, but it might work either way.

I do have 'Redoubtable' in bud. The Varvara pollen should store OK until the flower opens. Now the question is which is better: using WC as the capsule parent with the 'Redoubtable' clone or giving the progeny a double dose of dorsal spots by using WC 'Indomitable' pollen on the Varvara?

roth x Varvara (1/2 fairrieanum) : sounds like it might be a tough on to bloom, but if anyone has a roth that they want to pollinate, I'll donate pollen.

Ploidy on Winston Churchill? I've seen somewhere reference to the fact that at least the 'Indomitable' clone is a tetraploid.

Has enough spots for my taste already. I think you are looking to improve size and form with the WC cross, not spots.

I'm pretty sure the roth cross would be painful to bloom. I've got similar breeding purchased no less than 10 years ago that has still never bloomed. It sounded like a good idea at the time, I'm sure.

I think all of the bulldogs are tetraploid at best, but probably aneuploid (not an evenly divisible chromosome count). Some individual chromosomes might be 4 copies, some two, some three, etc... I could be completely wrong, I don't know where I heard that. I'd like to see the actual chromosome spread on these... Somebody go do that real quick! *grin*

Back