Suggestions for a new Phrag Cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
I have a Phrag. ( Richteri x Warscewiczianum) just starting to open Its 1st bud. Any suggestions as to what to cross it with? The others that I have in bud/bloom now are:

Kaieteurum x Schlimii 2 spikes

Olaf Gruss (Besseae flavum 'Sulfer' x Pearcei 'Nick')

(Coffee Break 'Reachout' X St. Ouen 'Canary's Flight')

And I just ordered 2 others I should get this week.

Cape Sunset (Eric Young 4n 'Mount Millais' am/rhs x Schlimii)

Achental (Richteri 'GreenGiant' x Hanne Popow 'Buttermilk')

Any sugesstions would be helpful.
Tom

Your Cape Sunset is probably sterile as it is a triploid (but once in a while you still will get offspring if you use a triploid parent).

I would probably go for the Achental or Olaf Gruss. Get some small growing plants with long down swept petals with interesting colors.

Robert

I would stay away from using the Cape Sunset (Eric Young 4n 'Mount Millais' am/rhs x Schlimii), its a triploid and won't breed well, if at all.

My personal preference is for smaller growing phrags. I would use the Olaf Gruss (Besseae flavum 'Sulfer' x Pearcei 'Nick') x (Coffee Break 'Reachout' X St. Ouen 'Canary's Flight').

You could also see if anyone on hte forum has any pollen they would send you. Crossing the Olaf Gruss back to besseae would make for some nice yellow offspring.

Kyle

My personal preference is for smaller growing phrags. I would use the Olaf Gruss (Besseae flavum 'Sulfer' x Pearcei 'Nick') x (Coffee Break 'Reachout' X St. Ouen 'Canary's Flight').

Kyle

I had the latter in bloom. I think I'm going to start storing pollen. from now on.

I have been getting alot of them from e-bay (jkorchids, orchidscalifornia,springwaterorchids,orchidtn,kalach19).
My flasking is done by Meyers Conservatory.

Tom

I was thinking along the same line of a small hybrid. I could actually do both of them. The Olaf Gruss just opened another flower w/1 left. The Kaiet. x has 2 spikes, 1 has no flowers opened, the other has 1 flower open with at least 3 buds after.

Tom

WHY NOT? Go for it! I just traded someone & got a ecuadorense. It's so darn cute, takes up so little space, looking forward to it blooming!

I just breed both of them. Olaf Gruss x (Richteri x Warsc.) & (Richteri x Warsc.) x Olaf Gruss. Now I just have to wait & see if the pods form.

Latest posts

Back