Suggested watering freq. And media for potting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What media would you use for Paph. Mint Chocolate (malipoense x goderfroya). And how often should I water it?

I would use a standard medium to fine grade orchid bark in the smallest pot that could contain the roots. Watering frequency depends on many factors, I would let it start to dry out a bit between each watering, I've got both species of this hybrid but I water godefroye much less often (about every 10 days to 2 weeks) than malipoense (every 5 to 7 days I think) simply because it is in a larger pot (I didn't have any more smaller pots at hand).

I would use a standard medium to fine grade orchid bark in the smallest pot that could contain the roots. Watering frequency depends on many factors, I would let it start to dry out a bit between each watering, I've got both species of this hybrid but I water godefroye much less often (about every 10 days to 2 weeks) than malipoense (every 5 to 7 days I think) simply because it is in a larger pot (I didn't have any more smaller pots at hand).

How will I know if I should increase or decrease watering for it. I found fine grain pure fir bark and have perlite

NGotB, it sounds like you are asking for “the correct formula” for success, and nobody can give you that. Orchids are “niche plants” that have their own specific needs in terms of light, temperature, humidity, air movement and moisture. Your goal is to 1) understand what those are for the plant in question, then 2) find a way to mimic those under your specific growing conditions.

Also understand that due to their growing conditions being different from yours, what someone else does might give you a hint, but does not tell you what you should do. That is especially true for media/container/watering parameters, as there are many permutations that can work. You just have to find the one that’s right for you, under your conditions and ability/willingness to “mess with” your plants.

Water is the driving force for growth, so a copious supply is a good thing, BUT, the roots must have lots of air, as well.

How will I know if I should increase or decrease watering for it. I found fine grain pure fir bark and have perlite
Good advice from Ray. To put it simply, when the pot dries out quickly increase watering frequency; if it stays wet for longer decrease watering. Many factors can influence how fast the medium will dry out, finding the right balance of light / humidity / pot size etc etc is the trick, there is no one formula but many approaches that can work and even more that won't work ;)

I use the same potting mix for just about everything I grow including my Mint Chocolate. I only change the particle size for plants in a larger pot for better drainage and aeration.
The basic mix I use is a combination of orchiata (small grade, not fine which I use for certain seedlings) and hydroton (or perlite, or both).
I use sphagnum moss to top dress certain plants if necessary.

Regarding watering, I water all my plants as soon as the contents dry out. For me, this is about every 3-4 days for 3.75/4inch pots. Smaller ones get watered every 2-3 days.
Using clear plastic pots helps monitor how dry it is inside the pot.

Back