succulents...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Succulents. Check
Comic Books. Check
Wife who barely tolerates my hobbies. Check

I think we have the foundations of some sort of jacked up secret society here.

I actually carry the "dumpster dive" bags-full for him at comic shows so he can keep pawing at the bins. I completely "get it" and read a lot of them, it's just that if I were single I'd probably only go for trade paperbacks and hardcover compilations of issues. It's a space issue really--you can only have so much stuff that swallows it. It's fun to hold the real deal though, and I totally aid and abet this madness, on holidays especially. We like Sentinels a lot (I customed the eyes on his figure to make sure they glowed enough), so I got him a NM copy of Giant-Size X-Men #2 for Christmas. (He'd have preferred an Avengers #1 but that just ain't happening yet!) Usually it's some nice Avengers issue though.

Eric, I told him about your X-Men #1, and he was totally jealous! Nice.

I think people who like orchids also tend to like succulents. I know I do and, like Elena, grew succulents and cacti when I was a kid. I suppose if orchids had been readily available and affordable back then, I would have grown them, too. I have a whole bench of succulents in my lean-to GH where it's too sunny and hot for the 'chids. Two of my Haworthias are about to bloom. I'll try to post pics when the time comes. I love the little transparent windows on the tips of the Haworthia leaves! What will nature think of next??!

Edit: I replied before seeing the other two pages of this thread, which had gone from succulents to comic books. Oh well.

I doubt anyone will mind you skipping over that. There just seem to be some shared madnesses that come up here from time to time.

I knew very little about succulents until a few years ago. I remember one drawing of a Christmas Cactus in my art school application portfolio (of my mom's plant), but that was it for awhile--perennials, bulbs and ornamental maples were our thing till I left, now just my mom's since I can't be there to help her.

I was at Home Depot yesterday buying some potting soil, and they were putting out a new shipment of succulents. I resisted then, but I have plans to go back.

Eric, the watering is pretty intuitive (as usual). Obviously you don’t want to over do it. I give them a thorough soaking (when it’s sunny) and let them dry out and stay on the dry side for awhile.

That's pretty funny. My intuition is to water every day if not twice a day. [Yes compulsive.] So I guess these aren't for me.

It's a good thing you have mad love for besseae... I was going to ask if you'd come over and tend to all of my plants, but you'd probably rot most of them! Some do need more love than I give them though.

I can figure it out easily enough. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Unless I misinterpret what fun I'm thinking about. My mind isn't near the gutter.

Here are photos of two succulents I picked up due to Robin's evil, enabling photos.

haworthiacymbiformis.jpg

Haworthia cymbiformis - a large, upright growing rosette of opaque leaves with clear windows

peperomiacolumella.jpg

peperomiacolumella2.jpg

Peperomia columella - column like growths made up of what appear to be leaves, but are actually round semi-translucent windows

Latest posts

Back