Successful rescue

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Path0gen

Reaction score
Four years ago my neighbor turned a patch of his Woodland into pasture land. At that time I noticed the cattle were eating showy lady slipper orchids. I asked permission to rescue a small bunch and was given the okay. I dug up 3 stalks in a clump and transferred them near my house in a bed I prepared for them. Each year they have expanded and this year there are over forty blossoms on the bunch. The remaining lady slippers in the pasture have vanished, eaten into Oblivion by the cattle and deer.

Attachments

• 20190624_101650.jpg
    20190624_101650.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 26
In Minnesota, it is legal to transplant ladyslippers (and other wildflowers) from private property to another person's property without a permit as long as you have the property owner's written permission and the flowers are not sold or offered for sale.

As far as I know, the law in Mich. is the same as what Path0gen states. Beatiful save, by the way. I've only seen these here in Mich. on the edges of sphagnum bogs.