Success and a question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcroz

2yr HCC Awarded Stud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discovered my first wild Cyp on my property, hopefully there are many more to find. I only looked in one area and here is a pic of the Cyp. acaule I found.

Attachments

• Home-Acaule.jpg
    Home-Acaule.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 35
Now here is the question. I've never seen Cyp. reginae in the wild, could this possible be one? If not, does anyone know what it is?:eek:

Attachments

• Dont-Know.jpg
    Dont-Know.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 32
Found these in a park near home. We watch several patches of acaule to make sure that they aren't disturbed or stolen.

Attachments

• fern-acaule.jpg
    fern-acaule.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 29
My guess is that its Epipactis helleborine....which, believe it or not, is considered a weed. Its origianlly from Europe. I find it growing all over my area at my Long Island place...it even popped up in my lawn this year. Pops up on roadsides, wood, borders...even saw it growing out of cracked asphalt. I also see it in a playground a block from my home here in Queens. Blooms in July...never stays in one location for long...disappears and pops up somewhere else. Weed or not, I like it...any orchid that grows on its own around me is fine! Take care, Eric

Eric's got it right. It is Epipactis. I agree that is nice to look at despite it's alien status.

My guess is that its Epipactis helleborine....which, believe it or not, is considered a weed. Its origianlly from Europe. I find it growing all over my area at my Long Island place...it even popped up in my lawn this year. Pops up on roadsides, wood, borders...even saw it growing out of cracked asphalt. I also see it in a playground a block from my home here in Queens. Blooms in July...never stays in one location for long...disappears and pops up somewhere else. Weed or not, I like it...any orchid that grows on its own around me is fine! Take care, Eric

hey,
for sure this is not a Cypripedium,
but I agree to Eric, that this "might" be Epipactis helleborine.

The plants in my garden are exactly at the same stage.

so watch cafully the flowers in about 3 weeks........

best
dieter from Germany

Epipactid helleborine is the first thing that came to mind for me too. I've got a few coming up in my front lawn right now and they look exactly the same. Some clones with lots of pink colour are quite beautiful....and all of them are certainly interesting. They look like mini Cymbidium flowers with a sac-like lip that has a drop of sweet nectar in it. The bees go nuts over this species and virtualy every flower gets pollinated.

Back