Succesful besseae S/H culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeBoxer

Reaction score
Is there anyone here that grows besseae successfully in S/H. Out of all the posts I have read it seems like they are really not to fond of it. Does anyone LOVE S/H for besseae (not the hybrids, just the species)?

-Josh

I just transferred mine over a couple of months ago, so I can't really tell if it's going to love it or not as it's still settling in. I would think it would be happy as long as you kept it wet enough.

It much easier to manage a lot of plants if you've got them potted in the same medium. If you're using a bark mix on all your others, use that. If you're using leca stick with that. I think it's more about what medium you grow your plants in succesfully. The plants will adapt.

Thanks Candace, I was waiting for you to chime in. I actually have all my other slippers in S/H, but I was up in the air about the besseae. I think what you say is 100% true, that they will adapt. I think that is the reason why there are so many different medias to grow in!

My biggest issue with S/H was operator error. I was not keeping the plants wet enough at the top of the plant, so all the new roots would grow from the bottom. While this was not a problem with something like my besseae, which had a lot of roots to begin with, seedlings that I transfered when not in active growth, or plants (generally paphs) that I did not keep wet enough on top did not grow new roots from the base of the plant downwards. This led to some wobbling in the pots and with the seedlings it was disastrous.

Remember s/h is a growing method and not a media type. Leca can be used as a media without using the s/h method and leca makes a great media when watered frequently with or without a bottom pot reservoir.

Thanks Lance! I know I've been asking a lot about the same thing but I'm pretty excited to finally have a few besseaes again and I really want to keep them happy.

-Josh

I have one besseae that I purchased (from Littlefrog Farm Rob, actually) that was in S/H Diatomite, and it is doing just fine. I tried another one in S/H PrimeAgra, and it almost died. It's doing better now in CHC/Diatomite, not S/H.

I've tried the Aussie Gold on some paphs & didn't care for it, switched back to bark.

I almost think that allot of phrags don't care what they are potted in as long as they are kept pretty wet, and SH is a good way of doing that.

I have some phrags in SH media and keep a pan of water under them, so I guess that's pretty close to SH. They are doing very well.

My bessea are not in SH media, but I also keep them in a shallow pan of water. They did much better for me when I moved them close to the swamp cooler. One is in spike now.

I don't know if S/H in Diatomite is technically S/H. Fortunately Diatomite retains like 80% moisture so it would work better than Primeagra type medias. [I think I read that Bob Wellenstein put all his paphs in Diatomite and water drip.]

Latest posts

Back