Substrate for cypripedium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
I am preparing a substrate for my Christmas gifts

Seramis + Perlite + Sand + Clay

Sektion Macrantha

----------------------------------------------------------------

Seramis

Sektion Obtusiflora

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Seramis + Perlite

Sektion Trigonopedia

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyriu + Perlite

Sektion Acaulia

Does anyone have any other recommendation .

The mixes all look good. Depending on species/hybrids , seedlings/mature plants I would mix in alittle conifer pine needles or leaf tree compost depending on if they are acid lovers or not..

Hakone, what material is that ´Kyriu´? Something like volkanic material, lava or basalt?
Best regards, Gina

Much look with that mixes.

But to know the section does not mean anything about soil to me.

For the Tri kinds only Perlite and seramis didnt worked for me, but maybe you are lucky with that.

Never forget that it depend on the origin of the plants too.

The rest is often discussed with you especially with Acaule and you know
what works for a lot of for us.

Hello Christoph,

Acaule

One germans grower told me , with peat ( incl. wine vinegar ) , the plant has only lived three years. In other germans breeders I have seen only one year life time.:D

Hakone your mixes have made me curious. Based on which knowledge did you create these mixes? Is it information you took from the internet of experience from other growers? Or is there some other thought behind these mixes?

Hy,

but white peat you know is a dangerous stuff.
But there are people who are succesfull with that.

i do the other way a lot of growers told you with pine bark and it work great.

I will report a section in january and I send you a photo, when I am finished.

I only have the problem that mine have mostly no fertyl pollen any more, this is why I need pollen every year from other people.

Think the inbreading of 3 generation made this.

Hakone your mixes have made me curious. Based on which knowledge did you create these mixes? Is it information you took from the internet of experience from other growers? Or is there some other thought behind these mixes?

Based on my knowledge and experience. Pure Anorganic. In internet does not exist in this mixture.

chabasai is the best substrate for non acidophilic bonsai.

Last year I was looking for seramis to use for my mix for cyps in pot culture and couldn't find any. So I tried to find a substitute and found the chabasai that they mix with haydite for bonsai culture..but it was a real hassle to get. Was looking gypsum and diatomite, but couldn't find that either..aaargh So I ended up using small pebbles for aquarium with coarse perlite, clay pellets, chc, sand, coconut coir, gravel and some charcoal.. everything's dead except my fasciolatum... Sooo no more cyps for me!

If you are searching for a substitue you have to look in car store.
They sell a binder for oil, which have nearly the same production technique,
In UK some people are using them, and some on the forum here too.
Maybe this is availabel in your country.

If you are searching for a substitue you have to look in car store.
They sell a binder for oil, which have nearly the same production technique,
In UK some people are using them, and some on the forum here too.
Maybe this is availabel in your country.

They do add chemicals to the oil absorbent... I'm not sure if it will effect the plant or not. I'm really not sure many auto parts store carry it any more as "pig" mats are what most shops use now.

Latest posts

Back