Submitting for judging via mail

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
It is my understanding that if one does not live close to a judging center, cut flowers can be mailed in to a judging center for judging. (I live in Memphis and the closest judging center is in St. Louis.) Has anyone ever done this? Is this commonly done? Is it more difficult for a cut flower to be awarded than the entire plant, i.e., is there any sort of prejudice against a cut flower? How should the flower be packaged? (I assume stuck in a flora-pick or wrapped in a wet paper towel.) Any other tips or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! :)

I am an AOS judge and am the designated recipient of cut flowers for regional judging. There has only been one cut infloresence sent to me in several years, so it isn't exactly common. You have a couple of options. One is to find a local AOS judge to take it to judging and the other is to mail the cut infloresence to the region representative.

Here is the contact for Atlanta Center: Wayne Marine, email: [email protected]

The contact for the Mid-America Center (St. Louis) : Dr. Craig Plahn, email: [email protected]

The flowers I received had a cut infloresence of a cattleya hybrid. The stem had a cap with water in it like you would see at a florist. The flower was shipped in a box well cushioned with packaging materials. It survived quite well and was sent via Fedex. It did receive an award!

Good Luck,

I am an AOS judge and am the designated recipient of cut flowers for regional judging. There has only been one cut infloresence sent to me in several years, so it isn't exactly common. You have a couple of options. One is to find a local AOS judge to take it to judging and the other is to mail the cut infloresence to the region representative.

Here is the contact for Atlanta Center: Wayne Marine, email: [email protected]

The contact for the Mid-America Center (St. Louis) : Dr. Craig Plahn, email: [email protected]

The flowers I received had a cut infloresence of a cattleya hybrid. The stem had a cap with water in it like you would see at a florist. The flower was shipped in a box well cushioned with packaging materials. It survived quite well and was sent via Fedex. It did receive an award!

Good Luck,

We've never gotten a cut flower since I've been in Chicago.

-Ernie

I think the tricky part here, is that there's no prejudice per se for cut flowers, but if they're damaged in transit it would probably be very hard to overlook that. It can be hard enough bringing in an orchid via my car for judging without damaging it. And the cost of Fed-X for overnight delivery is pretty steep, so I think only those who are certain the plant would be awarded actually go through the costs involved and the hassle of shipping

'Perfection' was displayed as a cut stem at the NY orchid show where it came from overseas and lasted the whole show. While there it received an fcc/aos on top of its gm/Joga. If you do a good job you can ship plants without damage no problem. I get plants shipped to me in bloom all the time. They almost always arrive perfect. The only thing you have to really be wary of is temperature. Extreme cold will ruin the flower as will extreme heat. Good luck

Ive been to a few where paphs had been sent in cut from further Northeast and they were in good shape. I had also seen a vanda from Hawaii that hadnt done so well on the long trip.

Not that common anymore, but still happens occasionally. I would recommend overnight shipping, and plan it to arrive the night before judging. I would also contact the judging center representative to let them know it is coming.
If you have a plant that you think is worthy of an award, and you don't mind the cost of shipping, then go for it!
Peter.

We have 2 judges and a student judge in Nashville that go to either the Atlanta or Cincinnati judging centers. But I think its still a 2 and 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Memphis to Nashville. How long is the drive to St Louis?

Great Lakes judging is next weekend, you'd be welcome up here. I have no idea how long a drive it is to Ann Arbor. We also accept cut flowers (I can give you a contact or you could send them to me), although as with everybody else, we get cut flowers for judging at about the same rate chickens grow teeth...

I think we should encourage cut flowers to be sent, we need some variety.

Rob

Latest posts

Back