Stumpy Phili

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I guess this would pass as the var. laevegatum type being small and pale.

Lots of growths in a 6 inch basket but a bit of a stingy bloomer for me.

I have 3 different clones of the laevegatum-type and they are all stingy. Slow to mature with a max of 3 flowers so far.
PS. All are in baskets as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I have 3 different clones of the laevegatum-type and they are all stingy. Slow to mature with a max of 3 flowers so far.

How are you growing them?

My laevegatum seedling just bloomed for the first time with 1 mature growth + 1 new growth that's about 1/4 size.There are 4 flowers, but they are a bit wonky which I attribute to the fact that it's a first bloom seedling and because the plant was neglected around the holidays while I was traveling and probably dried out a bit too much right when the buds were developing.

I've got 2 clones, both seedlings presumably from the same batch that I purchased a few years back. My plants were/are slow growing as well. However, when I got them, they had no viable roots, so I assumed the slow growth was due to the fact that they had to recover from poor treatment they received previously.

Maybe I lucked out with a bloom from a 2 growth plant? I haven't given them any special care, other than I've always grown them in high light spots on the shelves (under T8s and now LEDs). Growing indoors, they don't get a big day/night temperature drop, though it does tend to stay cooler in the winter.

they are all stingy. Slow to mature with a max of 3 flowers so far.

If blooming is the endpoint of maturity then I guess slow to mature is correct, but if getting to size is the criteria of maturity I would say this thing grows fast to maturity and then sits around and thinks about it for a year or two more.

Mine is a prolific grower otherwise.

If blooming is the endpoint of maturity then I guess slow to mature is correct, but if getting to size is the criteria of maturity I would say this thing grows fast to maturity and then sits around and thinks about it for a year or two more.

Mine is a prolific grower otherwise.

Now your a splitter Rick! Me I consider a plant mature when it tries to bloom. Take a Rofei, huge multi growth plant and never bloomed equals a huge mature "seedling"! LOL

Rather then hijacking Rick's thread I'll post PICs of my laevegatums in their basket environment.

huge multi growth plant and never bloomed equals a huge mature "seedling"! LOL

Rather then hijacking Rick's thread I'll post PICs of my laevegatums in their basket environment.

:rollhappy: the concept of a huge mature seedling cracks me up, probably more-so if I didn't have half a dozen like that:mad:

I'll add a pic of my plant in basket to your thread for comparison.

Rick, var laevigatum is identified in the Philippines as plants and flower smaller in size compared to typical variety. Flower overall has lighter color, petals are creamy with lesser lines and spots. Leaves are shorter too. This is rather hard to find there now. A friend of mine had one in the 90's, I hope he made a selfing out of that plant.

Rick, var laevigatum is identified in the Philippines as plants and flower smaller in size compared to typical variety. Flower overall has lighter color, petals are creamy with lesser lines and spots. Leaves are shorter too. This is rather hard to find there now. A friend of mine had one in the 90's, I hope he made a selfing out of that plant.

I selfed this plant too the last time it bloomed, but Troy Meyers hasn't had much luck germinating this batch (although he's done fine with other philli seed I've sent).

I've posted this plant as laevigatum "like" because of the nebulous taxonomy you've described and the original tag called it a roebelinii. But given the small plant and flower size and light color its definitely not a roebelinii.

:rollhappy: the concept of a huge mature seedling cracks me up, probably more-so if I didn't have half a dozen like that:mad:

I'll add a pic of my plant in basket to your thread for comparison.
Actually, I like that definition! It fits too well!

Here is a select plant identified as such. Very interesting.

Oh, my. Now I am in love! Where can I get one like this?!

Gego, That's a picture of a picture from a book right? I wouldn't get too excited over the paleness just yet. It does fit in the concept of laevigatum or compactum

Latest posts

Back