Strange, on a Paph...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
At least, I've never seen a Paph grow like this before. Has anyone else? This is Paph. hookerae:
Paph_growth.jpg

Its not typical, but definitely not uncommon....but it is something that appears to be restricted to Barbata paphs....Take care, Eric

Yes, it usually happens to the barba section, especially when the light level is relatively low (so the plant would try to reach for light, resulting in "tall" plant.) The same happen to the new growth, try to reach for light, that's why it's up there. The root from the new growth will only survive with high humidity. I have seen a plant with new growth like that having close to 10 roots, all were very short.

One of my sangii is doing this too, and purpuratum is also a good one for doing this.

I think the barbata are especially good for this, because they tend to like lower light levels than other paphs. I'm also betting that since many are "forrest floor" plants they may experience accumulations of duff and moss (or competing plant growth) that raise the soil level around the plant, and promoting that type of stem growth.

Yes, definitely not uncommon with Section Barbata... I have Paph. violascens always doing that to me... :(

My suggestion: If it is coming off an un-bloomed growth, leave the plant just as it is... if the growth has already bloomed, be careful and try and seperate the growth from the rest of the plant (unless the growth is in the middle, with rhizome originating from that growth)... personally, I don't find it is a big deal if these Barbata do that... :)\

-Pat

My appletonium made all kinds of crazy growths like this. I tried to wrap sphagnum around the growths but I accidentally broke them off in a clump, and now they are coming nicely along with roots in a zip lock bag and sphagnum.

Back