Strange malipoense plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcroz

2yr HCC Awarded Stud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several weeks ago, I noticed that one of my malipoense plants was going into spike. I thought, "it is a little out of season," but it just may be acting funny. Now I have a total of 4 mals in spike.

All of my other species and hybrid paphs are blooming on schedule. Only one plant, Amreni White, giving me a below average number of flowers. I haven't changed the watering, fertilizing, lighting, or air movement in over a year. And, these same mals bloomed on or about when I anticipated they should for their first bloomings.

The only thing I can think of that is significantly different is the amount of sunny days and dry weather. My greenhouse is usually easily in the good zone for humidity. However, due to the dry weather, it has been a little harder to maintain humidity where I want it. It hasn't been a big problem, but I have had to be more mindful of checking.

Generally, I've found malipoense to be generally a March bloomer, at least here in NH. Any ideas what might be causing this behavior? Anyone else having plants blooming oddly this year

I have a Paph fairrieanum that I got in bloom in January this year and it now has 4 buds coming. Two of the spikes are at least 9 inches tall, so well on the way. My fairrie album is also in spike. Also my confused Catt. percivaliana bloomed in June and looks like it may bloom again soon. Usually these plants bloom around December. Myy Phal. stuartiana bloomed as usual in the spring, but now it's putting out another spike. I think the crazy weather has everyone confused :crazy:.

Susan

My Paph. purpuratum bloomed last fall, right on schedule. Then, it bloomed beautifully again in the spring! I've never seen a purpuratum blooming in May before!

I have 5 malipo on a total of 8 plants that are flowering now...usually they flower in may...I think we had not enough sunny days and low temps this year,and also I had lowered the ammount of food cause of that....

My Henrietta Fujiwara album is in spike again (it's been like clockwork in Dec for 3 yrs), and the spike looks a little different... My Addicted Phillip also looks like it is sending out a leaf suggesting that it might have a spike coming too, which is also odd, since it bloomed in Feb this year as it always has, so maybe it is the weather somehow :p Who knows, I'm indoors under lights, but the humidity outdoors still affects humidity inside, and temp affects how often the A/C runs I guess, which further affects humidity!

All my plants bloom out of season.......not sure why but probably because we provide artificial conditions that don't always match what they get in nature.

Latest posts

Back