Strange behaviour: paph venustum !!??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I acquired this 1growth venustum 'alba' in april 2008:

got a new leaf in juli 08, then a spike in mai 09:

unfortunately, the stem didn't develop, and I had a bloom without stem. When it had opened I took this pic, and cut off the flower:

This month I had the good surprise to see a normal develpment of the plant , a young new growth emerging in an axil:

And today the shock seeing a spike rising from the old growth:confused:!

now: what to do??? Is the plant stressed too much, cut spike and ev. this big thing remaining from that 1st flower (seed pod?)?? Or just let things go on!? :)

Jean

:rollhappy: You're not alone! I'd leave it alone.
I had the same thing happen on my Hidecki Okuyama (malipo x gardineri), infact several times short flower stems, I was ready to pitch it & then I pitched it to a lower light spot & it's blooming off a previous bloomed growth & the flowers are fine. I then remembered reading something like .... higher light produces shorter stems, lower light, longer stems.

I had the same thing with a vini paph....every year it bloomed like that. Finally, one year it bloomed with a normal spike. The next year it died.......

I'm not convince about Bob W's explaination. Maybe for multis but for single flowered plants it's more of a genetic freak. It may or may not grow out of it. Lets see what the new growth does. This next flower looks like it's going to do the same thing Jean.

I'm not convince about Bob W's explaination. Maybe for multis but for single flowered plants it's more of a genetic freak. .....
This next flower looks like it's going to do the same thing Jean.

Thanks Rick!! I 'll have to keep an eye on it! If so, I will cut it off in time! Jean

I bet it will be fine eventually, whether it's the bloom that's in spike now or the one that comes out of the next growth it should correct itself... Now if it was a complex hybrid I'd say otherwise...

I have a venustum in bud, and I did have it close to the greenhouse wall, so it got lots of light. I did some re-arranging of some plants and moved it so it got more shade. When I looked at it today I noticed that it looked a lot like yours. I don't know if it had too much light at first, or that it didn't like getting less light when I moved it. This is the second blooming of this orchid, and the last time it was fine.

Perhaps you could find a paphchiatrist ;) If they are unable to help, I'd concur with NYEric and offer my own disposal services to you as well. :p

I think it's a dangerous mutation and you should dispose of it with me!

I've noticed the spots too and I like it a lots this way!!! Well done Jean!!!! :)

...Odd: not a pure album (dots on the petals)

right. most of the ones sold as the alba form really are not as they almost all have those little dots.
i've seen something recently about breeding true alba forms but i can't remember where...

I just saw, that the most interesting pic of my 1st post is no more available! so here a new one (should be N.5 for 1st post!)! Jean

Latest posts

Back