Stenosarcos vanguard

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave b

Reaction score
Attempting to use photobucket for the first time, let see if this works.

stenosarcos1-1.jpg

Very pretty! Thats a genus that I've never even heard of (one among many).

- Matt

I should have been more descriptive. Its a cross between Sarcoglottis speciosus x Stenorrhynchos speciosum. Very easy to grow terrestrial with somewhat ornate leaves. Though mine have faded a bit on the yellow side. Too much light prior to the bloom.

The leaves

stenosarcosleaves1.jpg

Im assuming the yellowing is too much light, as it sat too often in a southern window, getting very bright / direct sunlight during early spiking.

dave b said:
Im assuming the yellowing is too much light, as it sat too often in a southern window, getting very bright / direct sunlight during early spiking.
Lovely flowers.

You are right about the light being too strong for these. Mottled-leaf Paph light or less...

those seemingly came out of nowhere in the past year or two, it seems.
i've heard the flowers range in colors from yellows to oranges to reds, but i could be confusing it with something else...

Ya, they are getting to be "common" around here. Hoosiers and Oak Hill have them. I got mine from a guy here local, and im quite sure it came from Oak Hill. Although, i got it because it was labeled Sarcoglottis sceptroides and had wanted one for a while. They look very similiar, except flowers are light green and praying mantis-like. There is so much similarity in the leaves of these things its hard to tell until bloom. Last month Hoosiers came to our meeting and spoke on Gongoras. Erich brought 2 sceptroides. Both had very round, low lying leaves (hardly above the pot). One had leaves with white spots and the other white streaks. Would have loved to had both, but at 40 bucks a piece, i passed.

wow. that is a super cool plant.
it must have super strong roots to grow sideways like that....:poke:

Jon in SW Ohio said:
Dave,

Talk to Jim about a Sarco. sceptroides. I got mine from him and it was under $20. I'll have to get a pic of the leaves, it's just starting to spike so they will be withering soon.

Here it is the last time it bloomed:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166&highlight=sarcoglottis

Jon

Thats actually where i got mine. I gave him crap about it, in good humor. He had several more in spike, and we were waiting to see what they were.

Latest posts

Back