Stench from s/h

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suggest unpotting and sterilizing the s/h material in peroxide. Clean the root ball thoroughly and get rid of any dead material. Repot in new pot and ecjoy.

I'm with the "unpot to check" crew. Some "fish tank" odor I'd consider very normal, but foul or rotten eggs could be bad. If you unpot and all is well, simply tuck it back in or pot up to the next pot size if needed. If there are issues, you have the opportunity to rectify and averted a possible plant-astrophe (Ha, I just came up with that :) ).

I wouldn't sweat the spike, phrags are pretty forgiving. If it's healthy, it'll settle back in fast and probably bloom on schedule. If it's going downhill, you'd rather lose the spike than the plant.

Usually, strong, nasty odor is due to decaying organics. Either there was bark or whatever on the roots when it went into s/h or there could have been a root or algae die-off for some reason.

i'm thinking along the lines that someone mentioned checking the drain holes for clogging; i've heard that from a few people or threads here, things clog up and go bad

Interesting that folks are making suggestions for a thread started and more-or-less ended 3.5 years ago!

I imaging the smell went away - one way or another - a long time ago.

Interesting that folks are making suggestions for a thread started and more-or-less ended 3.5 years ago!

I imaging the smell went away - one way or another - a long time ago.

D'oh! :) Looks like Kate dredged up some old material for her first post. And we all fell for it. :)

Well, maybe we need to know what the culprit was and the outcome??? Is Dave still active?... Yep, he last posted in July 2011.

Latest posts

Back