Stem cutting for propagating maudiae-type paph

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Hardy,your research is well done and really scentifically taken ahead,you can be a really good professional!!!Dont stop and go on experimenting,also with new ideas!!!

Hello Hardy

I know this thread is quite old but it's very interesting and worth bookmarking, so I wonder if you might be able to please update the links to the photos on the first page???..because they are currently missing. I'm sure lots of people would love to see them, me included :)

Delilah :)

It's an old post so I can no longer edit it.... So here it is copied and pasted with updated photo hotlinks.
(Or perhaps the mods could help copy and paste the updated text and replace the original post on the first page...? RIP villagephotos, long live photobucket! =P)

Some terrestrial orchids like vanilla and the jewel orchids are so easy to
propagate by stem cutting. When conditions are favorable, even single node
cuttings of these orchids will survive. I think paphs are closely related to
these terrestrials, since these orchids have crumbly pollen and actually give
off the same odor through their sap when their tissues are bruised. I had on
hand some etiolated Paph. Hilo Citron seedlings (green maudiae) and tried
the stem cutting method on them. I'm glad to say it's been a success.
Here are some photos to share ^_^

Starting point: seedlings 14 months from flask:
c1_zps7249e61c.jpg

I cut off the elongated stems just below the new roots:
c2_zps2ca2541e.jpg

To prevent browning, I soaked the cut ends in water for 30 minutes to let out excess sap:
c3_zps01151b53.jpg

The top cuttings, rather-firmly potted in sphagnum in 2" pots; Off they went to ICU, together with the stumps:
c4_zpsbb4dcc32.jpg

5_zpsa4c720a5.jpg

After 13 days, the roots of the stumps were still alive and growing nicely:
c5_zps36423ab9.jpg

18 days after cutting, the stumps began to grow new shoots:
c7_zpsf9e2c79d.jpg

There were two growing on this one, the smaller one eventually lost the competition and did not grow:
c6_zpse91fbe51.jpg

On this one, there was still elongated stem and two good roots directly below the new shoot, so I cut it to make a single node cutting:
c8_zps97141bf3.jpg

c9_zps5b0c3ca9.jpg

c10_zps010dec31.jpg

c11_zps3b2477b3.jpg

The stump still looked good after the second cutting was taken:
c12_zps7a9aaf13.jpg

Here's how they looked after 80 days from the start:
c13_zpsdea3b6f7.jpg

All of them survived nicely, here's how the top cuttings look now, photo taken few days ago. Hope you like the pics, cheers! ^_^
c14_zpse26b30a4.jpg

Clone me Dr Memory! (reference to an old, old Firesign Theater album, yes, on vinyl)

Cloning without a sterile laminar hood. Well done.

This was a good read, a belated thank you.

Just wondering if anyone's experimented with attempting to root an elongated cutting without any roots visible? I'd expect the plant to attempt to push out new roots at the node.

Back