Starting Over 2

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gego

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

In the 80's, I had a small nursery back in the Philippines. I was growing and selling orchids but mostly Vandas, Phals, Catts and Dens. I had a few Paphs, local species. Back then, hybrid Paphs were very expensive and hard to get. I had philippinense, urbanianum and acmoduntum as my collection. I actually saw and documented the first two in the wild.

I left the Philippines about 20 years ago, sold some of my plants and gave the rest to my friends. I am an Electrical Engineer, so I have to find a job at least related to my education.

But I know I can't just forget orchids, it was just a matter of time. Last October, my mother died, and my boss, knowing I grew orchids before, gave me an orchid instead of a bouquet of flowers. A Phrag caudatum x wallisii was placed next to my monitor when I came back to work.

I just can't let a plant die so I end up making a home for this plant and some others given to me as gifts. Well, being an engineer, I made a fully automatic orchidarium, LED's and stuff. Then I realized I need a few more plants to fill it up. I got hooked again. Now I have a small GH.

My favorite are still vandas but I started to collect some paphs and just added one phrag to give my first plant a company.

I saw this forum and you guys are great and very knowledgeable. I'm glad to be here.

Thanks,
Guy

Well, just like the rest, I think I have to learn to attach some pics.

I know the feeling. I'm on my third life as an orchid grower. But I don't want to go for the same kind of orchids as before. Cyps are now high on my list. :p

You have a great boss! Welcome from Toronto, I re-started much as you did a couple of years ago. Now I have semi-automated living walls with homemade LED lights and stuff... You're in the right place to discuss the details of intricate orchid setups.

To post photos, open a public-accessible account on one of the photo sharing sites (e.g. Photobucket, Flickr, etc) and after you upload photos to the site, open the photo and copy its IMG link, then paste into the body of your post.

Yes, really tall tails. My boss has to roll them up because they were lying on my table. It was first flower, I will try to make it flower again.
Thanks

Welcome Guy. We're looking forward to your pictures. Very intersing story. I you have/can... show of some of your older pictures too.

I was thinking about my pics before. The ones in nature were slides. I gave them to my friend but I have not seen him ever since. I should say, I didn't try to find him.
My first plant to flower since I started over is a St. Swithin. I will take a shot when all four are fully developed.
Others in bloom are vandas and catts.

Back