Stanhopea oculata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musa

Reaction score
My Stanhopea o. isw in bloom the first time!
On Monday it was in bud, over night all flowers opend simultaniously, on Wednesday I took the fotos, when the tepals were already bent backwards and on thursday all was wilted away...
Quite short but most impressive to me.

k IMG_5278 copy.jpgk IMG_5284 copy.jpgk IMG_5291 copy.jpgk IMG_5293 copy.jpgk IMG_5300 copy.jpgk IMG_5304 copy.jpgk IMG_5318 copy.jpgk IMG_5322 copy.jpgk IMG_5344 copy.jpg

Thanks all of you!
Unfortunately I don't have any tips. I got it as a present two years ago. It doesen't really fit in my collection as I have mainly Paphiopedilum and Amorphophallus.
I didn' expect it too bloom, therfore it was standing and not hanging, so the first spike got squeezed and brought only one flower. But two spikes were following while it was hanging.
It is indoors at a south facing window, in a basket with Sphagnum, it gets a shower once or twice a week. Temp is hot, never goes under 20°C in winter, in summer it has about 28 - 33°C with peaks of 37°C. Humidity has a range of 20%-50% in winter and 40%-80% in summer. In these conditions I don't have any idea why it is blooming...

Is it fragrant?
My Stanhopea tigrina recently threw its first bloom of the season (I’m hoping for more) and, even outdoors, you could smell it from at least 15 feet away. I did not take any pics, but my hubby sent me:

C0A9EC71-BF1A-401C-ADE4-AD14AD9AD384.jpeg59C4178E-FC9F-4132-BA2A-C8B465D304A4.jpeg

Thanks, Ute, unfortunately it takes lots of space...
Kate, it is fragrant. It's vanilla like, with a light scent of sulfur which makes the fragrance interestingt but not less pleasent.
The tigrina would be my next choice of Stanhopea if there isn't my problem with growing space... beautiful!

Thanks, William!
The scent reminds me more of some amorphophallus, what should be dimethyldisulfide (a guess by literature, I'm no chemist) with a extrem low concentration, what makes it it more appreciable than disgusting...

Well, here is a genus I wouldn't dare touch with a barge pole with my growing conditions!

Well done, musa! Really impressive growing and a likewise impressive outcome! Great photo display, too, with many interesting details. Kudos to you!

Thanks Guldal, I wouldn't have dared it myself as it has to deal with more than 30°C and everybody says it needs cool temps to bloom. But it was a gift and so I tried it without any hope for flowers... things came out quite different.

Latest posts

Back