Stanhoepa tigrina nigroviolacea ‘Black Widow’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These flowers caught the attention of the judges at the Cali show here in Colombia. With 3 huge black flowers and an incredible sweet aroma that permeated the room, it betwitched us with its claws and cast a spell on all those who saw it.

After an extensive research on past awards, we were shocked it was similar in size to the previous FCC’s like Predator, but with one difference… it had an extra flower per inflorescence (3 here vs 2 in others)

As team captain, I didn’t want to influence the score, but as they came in, it was without a doubt that it would received an FCC! Final score? 92 points!!! Wow…

See for yourself how it became to be known now as the ‘Black Widow’!

778B294B-E932-4753-A3CC-BB1A1AD7D74C.jpeg22350B10-2729-42C1-9A07-AB1456D643C6.jpeg29FB4449-F4F6-456A-9695-E0E69684C999.jpeg

Fantastic color for Stanhopea tigrina. People should grow more of those.... Colombia in South America? I guess this is not your plant?

For research on this forum, please correct the title spelling if you can.

Last edited:
Can these be grown well indoors? I used grow them outside back in South Africa... But the plants got huge.
I used to grow a few Stanhopea as well. They did fantastic outdoors(by the woods/a outdoors growing area) for me during the warmer months. They need a lot of water when they are growing, but much drier in winter...It would be difficult if you grow them year-round indoors....They will do okay under HID light indoors for the winter, with good humidity and air movement.

Last edited:
Fantastic color for Stanhopea tigrina. People should grow more of those.... Colombia in South America? I guess this is not your plant?

For research on this forum, please correct the title spelling if you can.
Ooops Stanhopea is the correct genus. If an admin can correct I would appreciate it.

Not my plant… I am in Cali, Colombia judging orchids.

I used to grow a few Stanhopea as well. They did fantastic outdoors(by the woods/a outdoors growing area) for me during the warmer months. They need a lot of water when they are growing, but much drier in winter...It would be difficult if you grow them year-round indoors....They will do okay under HID light indoors for the winter, with good humidity and air movement.
Hopefully some US growers will have a few spare back-bulbs in the spring. I have a nice Japanese maple I can hang the plant under in the summer. No problem with lights in winter -- I grow under lights in my basement and have no trouble with Tolumnia and Catts except for mealie bugs.

I know what you mean by these plants getting BIG. My old plant grew in a 45 cm diameter basket under a big tree. It didn't take long to fill the basket. Too bad the leaves always got a bit tatty outside. For the fews days the plant was in flower it was worth the effort of watering the thing every day (2x in summer).

Thanks for the inspiration, Leslie, and the good advice, Tom.

Latest posts

Back