Standars and cultivars

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLOG

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have some questions that I have been asking myself for a while and have not been able to find out. you will surely solve them: what are the standards for each species of orchid? Are there some measures established for each species by which they are evaluated when exposed? and how are the cultivars of each species made? Based on what criteria can a new cultivar be established? And how, if at all, can a new cultivar be registered? Is there a record in which you can see all these characteristics of each cultivar? I have many doubts, sorry, thanks in advance !!

Surely some judges can respond better, but it seems to me that a flower display is compared to previous versions of that same one, and one with better form, size, color, etc., becomes the new standard upon which others are compared.

As far a cultivar - cultivated variety - is concerned, that is really nothing more than the grower deciding to give his particular plant its own name. Anyone can do so, as long as the plant has not already had a cultivar name attached to it and the name has not already been attached to a different cultivar. For example, if you have a unique Oncidium Sharry Baby, you cannot give it the ‘Sweet Fragrance’ cultivar epithet, and if you have Oncidium Sharry Baby ‘Sweet Fragrance’, it would be unethical to rename it ‘Jlog’s Beauty’, but if you have an unnamed Sharry Baby, like in my first example, you could legitimately do so.

Cultivars are not registered, per se. If one has a plant awarded, a cultivar name must be applied, providing unique identification of that plant, and the award is recorded (registered) including the complete plant name and award, but that’s it. Asexually-reproduced (divisions and clones) “copies” of that plant carry the cultivar name and quality award designation with them.

Surely some judges can respond better, but it seems to me that a flower display is compared to previous versions of that same one, and one with better form, size, color, etc., becomes the new standard upon which others are compared.

As far a cultivar - cultivated variety - is concerned, that is really nothing more than the grower deciding to give his particular plant its own name. Anyone can do so, as long as the plant has not already had a cultivar name attached to it and the name has not already been attached to a different cultivar. For example, if you have a unique Oncidium Sharry Baby, you cannot give it the ‘Sweet Fragrance’ cultivar epithet, and if you have Oncidium Sharry Baby ‘Sweet Fragrance’, it would be unethical to rename it ‘Jlog’s Beauty’, but if you have an unnamed Sharry Baby, like in my first example, you could legitimately do so.

Cultivars are not registered, per se. If one has a plant awarded, a cultivar name must be applied, providing unique identification of that plant, and the award is recorded (registered) including the complete plant name and award, but that’s it. Asexually-reproduced (divisions and clones) “copies” of that plant carry the cultivar name and quality award designation with them.
Thank you so much for your time to answer me. 👏👌👍🏻

Back