Staminodium Question - Megastaminodium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since the staminode covers up the flowers' male bits, I'm sure that each species claims they have the biggest one! :)

But alpha taxonomy is not mathematics; it is not really necessary that everything "adds up". I love biology for that, but sometimes it's a nuisance.

Hakone, you're thinking like a very logical engineer, not a biologist. ;)

The Code doesn't make it necessary that names make sense, just that they are validly published. So, 1+1 can equal 3 as long as you correctly claim such by valid publication. The harmony of the universe does not rely on these names as it does to math and physics holding true. :)

Hakone, you're thinking like a very logical engineer, not a biologist. ;)

The Code doesn't make it necessary that names make sense, just that they are validly published. So, 1+1 can equal 3 as long as you correctly claim such by valid publication. The harmony of the universe does not rely on these names as it does to math and physics holding true. :)

Hello Ernie ,

I hopes that the biologist counts correctly money :D

Sorry to disagree Ernie.
But if this guy is an engineer, then I must be Elvis! :p

Sorry to disagree Ernie.
But if this guy is an engineer, then I must be Elvis! :p

Hi Elvis, ;)

trust me, I am married to one of them... and believe it or not, their logic has no logic at all... :poke::rollhappy:

Hello Karavanu,

please answer the Kevin´s Questionen :

what does Megastaminodium actually mean, and what criteria are there if new species are found? What would the ratio between staminode and flower have to be for the species to be put into this section?

thank you very much

Megastaminodium = Large Stamonodium
For Criteria to fit in the new section = READ and UNDERSTAND the publication!
As forthe ratio = READ and UNDERSTAND the publication!

Happy? I answered your question... not the answer you wanted?:pity:

Megastaminodium = Large Stamonodium
For Criteria to fit in the new section = READ and UNDERSTAND the publication!
As forthe ratio = READ and UNDERSTAND the publication!

Happy? I answered your question... not the answer you wanted?:pity:

thank you very much , I should prefer to wait Leonid and Harold :D

I enjoy these discussions. I believe Hakone is trying to make a point. Our choice for one author or plant name over another should not cloud the rules that go with the game whenever possible. Many times, it's a tough call. I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Philip, Guido, Harold, Leonid, etc all happened to walk into the same bar at the same time! That could be fun to watch. :) I respect all these men for their contributions.

Although I'd love the chance, I've never shared a bar tab with any of them. But it's nice to have no interpersonal issues to wrestle with.

Hmmm. Question for the math-inclined. If a biologist counts $1+$1=$3, if money were earned $1 at a time (ie from a huge stack of singles), if he/she counted to $1million, how much money would he/she actually have?

thank you very much , I should prefer to wait Leonid and Harold :D

wait.. I am sure they will jump in sooner than later... I think they really take you way too seriously...

I enjoy these discussions.
Me too :) if there is something I really miss from tiem working at teh Botanical Institute and herbarium, is all those "non-sense" discussions about who was right (miss)interpreting the rules according to their convenience... :D
It was great time, but quite loong ago already!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Philip, Guido, Harold, Leonid, etc all happened to walk into the same bar at the same time! That could be fun to watch. :)
Absolutely!! :D

I enjoy these discussions. I believe Hakone is trying to make a point. Our choice for one author or plant name over another should not cloud the rules that go with the game whenever possible. Many times, it's a tough call. I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Philip, Guido, Harold, Leonid, etc all happened to walk into the same bar at the same time! That could be fun to watch. :) I respect all these men for their contributions.

Although I'd love the chance, I've never shared a bar tab with any of them. But it's nice to have no interpersonal issues to wrestle with.

Hmmm. Question for the math-inclined. If a biologist counts $1+$1=$3, if money were earned $1 at a time (ie from a huge stack of singles), if he/she counted to $1million, how much money would he/she actually have?
I would not have a problem with it ....

And maybe Hakone can check the length of the Phragmipedium leaves against those of Phragmipedium longifolium (Oh Lord) not described by me but by Reichenbach fil. (And yes, I know I am old ... but not that old).

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Philip, Guido, Harold, Leonid, etc all happened to walk into the same bar at the same time! That could be fun to watch. :) I respect all these men for their contributions.

Hello Ernie,

You seem to have forgotten Holger :viking:

God forgive me please, I forgot Chen:fight:

omg , :sob:

" Reichenbach was born in Leipzig. From 1810 he studied medicine and natural science at the University of Leipzig, he was appointed the director of the Dresden natural history museum and a professor at the Surgical-Medical Academy in Dresde ".

I rather ask Harold. He is a professor of ecology ;)

I'll bite...

"Megastaminodium" translates roughly to "large staminode".

So yes, the translation doesn't quite compute if you look at the staminodes of the species mentioned in relation to canhii.

The other side of the coin is... does that make it a "bad" name choice? I don't think so. The name is quite descriptive and it's not the name that matters so much as the description and diagnosis. Odd but true. Think Paph micranthum and the big guy down at the pub named "Tiny".

Also by definition the term "large" is completely relative. Within the single four letter prefix it is impossible to include how much and with what reference the term Mega refers to. That's why a description follows. Otherwise a name would have to be a paragraph long to meet Hakone's criteria.

Science (among numerous life activities) is based on comparison of one thing to another. Numeric ratios are used in all forms of science, art, economics and engineering. Given the scope and purpose of the new sub genera name, it just seems like the adherance to absolute comparison of other species staminodes is rather an imflamatory argument.

Latest posts

Back