staking

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With respect to yields on staked vs. non-staked tomatoes; tomatoes are subject to a wide variety of diseases, many having their origins in the soil (fusarium, verticillium, and others). When staked, the vines and fruit avoid contact with the soil and minimize infection by contact. The elevated position also helps keep the foliage drier through improved air circulation, again minimizing disease incidence. The blossoms are also at a better advantage to pollination in a staked position. By minimizing disease and increasing pollination, yields are boosted. Staked tomatoes can also be planted at a higher plant density per acre than unstaked, again contributing to the better yield. I really doubt their is any direct connection between energy expended by the vine in a staked vs. non-staked situation.

Ken Brewer

Plants don't have muscles that require energy to function. The spike will require the same amount of tissue, and energy required to make that tissue, if you stake it or not. ??? Right? Tomotoes produce better when the PLANT is staked because they are floppy and can drown themselves out by excluding light and air to the interior parts of the plant. Keeping the tomato plant erect helps keep the interior portions healthy and thus producing fruits instead of dying off and letting the outer parts do all the work. Make sense? I can't back this by any data or literature, so feel free to knock my idea around.

-Ernie

I just know that if this flower head was not staked you would not enjoy it as much. Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 11
I'm a big staker. Of course, I grow lots of catts which if aren't staked like Jim has shown, won't be as impressive. I try to stake all my paphs and phrags too, simply because I like them to "look" at me and not face downwards, upwards etc. This also adds another added danger to the greenhouse. I've been jabbed countless times in the forehead, cheek and mouth by stakes. So far my eyes have been left alone but I think I hear the plants plotting against me...

In general, w/ selected species and hybrids being grown for larger flowers and higher flower counts the ability to naturally support itself is being taxed; orchids or tomatoes. I prefer to stake even though I'm not good at it.

Latest posts

Back