St Swithin opening

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

IdahoOrchid

This is the St Swithin I got from orchidtn. It has two spikes which were on the plant when I got it.

You will see on the double bud spike that there is a striped "skirt" at the branching point. On the single bud spike this "skirt" is down in the crown of the plant? Any clues why it did not come out like the other one? Shy?:p

Attachments

• Swithin-1.jpg
    Swithin-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Swithin-2.jpg
    Swithin-2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 97
Moving pretty quickly

Just a bit more open today.

Attachments

• Swithin-more.jpg
    Swithin-more.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 34
Fully open and a close up.....

Attachments

• Swithin-today.jpg
    Swithin-today.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 54
  • Swithin-up-close.jpg
    Swithin-up-close.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 39
Humph, thought I posted that. Must have been in my grow list.

It is:
Paph St. Swithin
phil. ‘Twister’ x roth. SVO’s Majestic’

I have not tried looking for pics of the parents. Maybe I will.

Very nice progress. :clap:

They always seem to look scary opening up! I remember the first time my philippinense flowered the first time. :eek:

There has been an interesting developement with the first flower. One of the petals has done almost a full twist! I did not notice it yesterday. I wonder if the phil. 'Twister' is kicking in (or if it is that my wife took it upon herself to move the plant today)? Actually she says she noticed that the petal was twisted prior to her moving it. I hope this is what is supposed to happen and that the other petals twist as well. Kinda neat looking.

One of the side petals made a nearly complete loop. I can't take a picture now because it is now pretty much straight again, with just a little bit of waviness in the upper third.

Two open and the third nearly so. Petals lengthening daily it seems. I will try to post update picture Sunday if I can but I have to go to work and don't know exactly when my relief will arrive.

How long do the petals continue to lengthen - meaning, how many days? I've noticed that my Angel Hair x Lady Isabel cross (or vice versa) still has the petals lengthening after a week.

I guess it all depends on when you start the clock. The first picture in this thread was after it had started opening, about 2 day I guess. If you count the day the petals first free themselves (a bit early to start I would think) then it has been nearly two weeks for mine. From the picture posted, about 10 days so far.

I am trying to use the sanderianum trick and keep them from touching anything to encourage the lengthening. That is tough to do with so many petals and leaves that are in such close proximity to each other. :)

IdahoOrchid said:
I am trying to use the sanderianum trick and keep them from touching anything to encourage the lengthening. That is tough to do with so many petals and leaves that are in such close proximity to each other. :)

I have always heard that that is a myth, though the petals will stay fresh longer if they don't touch things.

Latest posts

Back