Spring Ephemorals at Garden in the Woods

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
The hard drive crashed at work this afternoon, so I took a walk, and some photos.

Enjoy!

(Any help on ids would be appreciated. I need to learn this stuff!)

Three Trillium:
grandiflorum
img1243me2.jpg

Next two I'm not sure of - I love the red one and it smells like juicy fruit gum!
img1245zy4.jpg

img1251zy0.jpg

A bell flower
img1244de8.jpg

Columbine:
img1247hy2.jpg

Swamp Pink - Helonius bullota. This reminds me so much of that cool dendrobium species which I cannot think of the name of right now! But it is much smaller.
img1249ad5.jpg

Are these native? The white Trill is probably erectum var album, which is native to the NE. However, the fullness of the flower looks more like T simile, which may be a natural hybrid or not... and according to my Trillium book (by Case) is found only in a small area in N. Georgia through W NC.

The red one does look like cuneatum, although (again, according to my book) cuneatum *usually* has petals that are widest in the middle and narrower at the base. Also, it ranges only as far north as about N.C. Sessile is similar looking and ranges further north to NY or so. I don't think sessile smells sweet though...?

I think a lot of the Trilliums look similar, especially if you look at different color forms. The book seems to indicate that they have relatively definite distributions.... but I don't know how accepted this book is?

P.S. I can't see the photo of the first trillium!

Speaking of Trilliums, I don't think mine is coming up this year. :( It's one of the woodland perennials I grow in pots (yah...) on my balcony....

Hrmm...I've no idea!
I'm so just learning these guys. We have signage but it tends to be where you first see the plant in the garden, and not with each plant in the garden so...sometimes it's hard to tell what's what.

I will keep working on locating the sign for the red, mottled leaf Trillium.

I also really like Trout Lily but couldn't get a good pic, they are almost past. Funny, how I am drawn to mottled leaved wildflowers and yet not mottled leaved Paphs!

I LOVE trout lily. On my wish list for the balcony, maybe I will this year.....

I missed spring in DC but caught up with it (a bit) in Chicago.

Very nice Heather.

I don't think we are going to see allot of trillium blooms this year. We had that freeze right when they were about to bloom.

I have a monster Jack in the Pulpit in the front yard.:D

i was outside the other day and saw the ones we have planted right in front of the greenhouses in bloom. wonder if it'll still be open...
you work at a cool place, heather....

My take on the red Trillium is sessile. We have one in our Bot garden that looks just like it (although only up a couple of inches yet). The bell-shaped flower is a Disporum lanuginosum. The Aquilegia is A. canadensis.

NYEric said:
You know, playing throw paper for hours will crash the drive! :poke:

No, playing Bejeweled 2 for hours will fry your video card (if its an old one), then crash the hard drive.

toddybear said:
My take on the red Trillium is sessile. We have one in our Bot garden that looks just like it (although only up a couple of inches yet). The bell-shaped flower is a Disporum lanuginosum. The Aquilegia is A. canadensis.
Todd is correct on the mottled leaf Trillium...it is Toadshade....T. sessile
I was planning on taking pictures of the local wildflowers but haven't found time. I think I missed the Hepatica already. Trillium grandiflorum is just coming into bloom and the purple trillium is still blooming.

Heather said:
Next two I'm not sure of - I love the red one and it smells like juicy fruit gum!

Swamp Pink - Helonius bullota. This reminds me so much of that cool dendrobium species which I cannot think of the name of right now! But it is much smaller.

so has anyone smelled T sessile and found that it smells like juicy fruit gum? I only ask because my book says that cuneatum smells like that, and some forms of cuneatum look just like the photo too. Of course, if the Trill is native to Mass, then I also still think its sessile...

On the Den, is Den smilliae the one you're thinking of? This is a pic of the one blooming at Oak Hill - the flower is upside down because the cane was bent.

That's the one! Thanks Ki.

Didn't get out to check on the Trillium today...smells to me like juicy fruit tho! (and I was told to go check it out because of the fragrance...)

Edit - I shot off an email to the powers that know these things at the garden about what Trillium species that is. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back