Spring Blooms

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Love especially the modesta, miss my plants now...
I had two plants and the flowers on the other plant was nearly white with little pink dots.
The leaves were quite different also. This one has wide light green & glossy leaves. The other plant had narrow (like equestris in appearance so to speak) dull green leaves and overall a lot smaller.
I wonder if these are individual differences or there are distinct populations. I can't find much info on this species online other than a bunch of photos of flowering plants of varying degree.

I plan on selfing this one since I like this species (and its scent) so much.

Those Phal species plants are really nice.

I admit that Dendeobium is pretty spectacular too, despite being a hybrid! Have not seen anything that color in Dendrobium before. Curious how “true” the photo color is?

Congrats on all!
The colors on my screen appears true as my eyes see in person.
They open up rather pale yellowish orange with a lot of red near the tips and edges of the petals. As flowers age just over the course of a few days, the red part partially disappears and the base color of pale yellow/orange intensifies.
My favorite tropical sunset colored flower!

Hi Happypaphy7,
Thank you for sharing pics of your beautiful orchids. That Dendrobium has special colours and funny fuzzy hairs on the lip. 😊
I had a mini mark also once, it is cute, but so are the two Liu's Cute Angel and Berry. Phal. stuartiana and schilleriana have such a wonderful mottled leaves. It's quite unusual with Phals.
That Sedirea japonica looks intresting, and has beautiful flowers. Don't remember, but did it like same conditions than Phals 🤔
That Catasetum and Neostylis are also nice.
Gongrats and enjoy your flowers!

Regards Annica

Just when I asked about the Sedirea, I read the same day later from our societys magazine about Sedirea. There one Lady wrote about her Phalaenopsis. She is growing several mini-type phal., and their crosses, and she had pictures of many of them, when they flowered. She was telling about when they flower and so on. She had one Sedirea japonica, and she told that it is now included to Phals. So it's now P. japonica.
I think, I will buy me one, when possible.

..... it is now included to Phals. So it's now P. japonica.
This species has been around taxonomically: Aerides, Angraecum, Hygrochilus, and now Phalaenopsis. I will stick with Sedirea for the next 5-10 years to discern, whether Phal. really is the last and stable taxonomic verdict. But also because this designation entails the one taxonomic joke, I know of: Sedirea = Aerides spelled backwards! 😉

Last edited:
SVO7823 Pot. Rubescent Magic x Martha Clarke.
The lip on this second bloom is deformed but the overall shape is a bit better than last year.
Really like the color 😍
First two photos show current blooms.
Both have issues with lip formation with one having it worse than the other.
Second flower isn’t fully open yet. They are darker in color when fresh open.
The last photo is the flower from last year.
E0E16EAC-5ECC-446D-A1EF-2305185844E7.jpegC63E8464-55D0-40FB-8DE3-BB6D1CD78394.jpeg65AAD6E7-28D5-4133-A654-3FD1CA1431DC.jpeg

Another deformed Cattleya.
This is a first time blooming Martha Clarke (a remake). One flower is missing a few parts and the other flower is missing one petal.
It already has a larger new growth with a sheath on it. Perhaps another round of flowers later in the year.
5D24C32F-7E43-4D9F-BE06-47B0672BB083.jpegE060CBF5-3AE0-456F-8AB0-C10EAD9D8CEA.jpeg

Neostylis Dainty has all of its flowers wilting already in just ten days or so. A bit longer than neos but much too short for the cross according to my expectation. Oh, well...Even Sedirea japonica is still going strong other than two flowers that have been pollinated.

Now, my lovely little hybrid Phalaenopsis 😁
Mini Mark
It had bud blast after another last year.
This year, it is behaving much better
View attachment 39153View attachment 39154

Liu’s Cute Angel gave me four small spikes last year. One big spike this year
View attachment 39155
A similar hybrid Liu’s Berry is also blooming
View attachment 39156
Last, fragrant NOID minis from a grocery store last spring are blooming again in much better state
View attachment 39157View attachment 39158
Now, my lovely little hybrid Phalaenopsis 😁
Mini Mark
It had bud blast after another last year.
This year, it is behaving much better
View attachment 39153View attachment 39154

Liu’s Cute Angel gave me four small spikes last year. One big spike this year
View attachment 39155
A similar hybrid Liu’s Berry is also blooming
View attachment 39156
Last, fragrant NOID minis from a grocery store last spring are blooming again in much better state
View attachment 39157View attachment 39158
All are beautiful and kudos to your great photography. I have always loved Mini Mark, now Liu’s Cute Angel is added to the list. Thanks for sharing

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find Mini Mark rather temperamental compared to other Phalaenopsis. But then I have all the common and easy ones.
I bought two plants of Mini Mark both in low spikes (double spikes on both plants) last spring. One of the spikes on both plants stopped developing further and just stalled. The remaining spikes would go through bud blast one after another.
Only about one or two buds every made it to open bloom. That was May 2022.
Come early winter, both plants started to develop spikes. One plant started two whole new spikes. The other plant grew one whole new one and one off existing spike.
Now, both plants have one spike with about sixe to seven flowers open with two three more buds to open. Funny enough, Both plants are having bud blast on the other spike. So go figure!
I think I will keep just one plant and keep observing its pattern for a few years.

Liu's Cute Angel is indeed very cute and I highly recommend it. I had it in the past but got rid ot it quickly.
This time, I plan on keep it and other Phalaenopsis for a long time to grow them into big specimen.

Hi Happypaphy7,
Thank you for sharing pics of your beautiful orchids. That Dendrobium has special colours and funny fuzzy hairs on the lip. 😊
I had a mini mark also once, it is cute, but so are the two Liu's Cute Angel and Berry. Phal. stuartiana and schilleriana have such a wonderful mottled leaves. It's quite unusual with Phals.
That Sedirea japonica looks intresting, and has beautiful flowers. Don't remember, but did it like same conditions than Phals 🤔
That Catasetum and Neostylis are also nice.
Gongrats and enjoy your flowers!

Regards Annica
Phalaenopsis species fall into a few groups but I would assume that you mean Phalaenopsis hybrids that are commonly found in the supermarket. Most of those are made with species that belong in the same group like amabilis, aphrodite, schilleriana, stuartiana, sanderiana and for small ones equestris, which does not belong in the same group but can be grown pretty much the same way.
With this in mind, yes, you can grow Sedirea japonica and phals the same way with success.
I read that some people have a hard time blooming their S.japonica.
I suspect that they are keeping the plant too warm in the winter. It comes from warmer parts of South Korea and Japan where the winter does not freeze but it gets nearly freezing cold. The winter average in the habitat is around 4degree Celsius during the coldest months of January and February.
While you don't need such a low temperature to grow it well, I would think that the temperature in the 15-10C is recommended for good results with this species.
I keep this one and Neofinetia falcata near the window glass during the winter. They compete with my parvis for the cool winter treatment. lol

Since you are in Finland, I would think you would do well with this species by any brightly lit window. Or perhaps a bit further away from the window if it gets too cold in the winter.

Hi Happypaphy7, I wish I would know how you copy or quote messages or part of them, like you people do.
Earlier here you thought that perhaps I meant the supermarket Phals. Actually I was talking about species, but also hybrids too.
That Potinara of yours is lovely, I think I like more of this color it has now on your last photo. In nature, all colors are beautiful, but I personally and usually love strong colors. Wonderful to see your orchids to bloom.

Latest posts

Back