Sprayers for fertilizing in greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

I just went to check out a new sprayer to replace my hozon siphonex ones.I saw a miracle grow one but came home confused as it was filled with fertilizer but to be used on grass-26-8-??, I think.You were to fill the container with water --but it made 40 gal! I couldn't find anything that explained the ratio of fertilizer to water so I could use my own 20-20-20 powder.If anyone has used this sprayer or has any ideas for me adapting it for my use,please reply.:)

Hi Jane, What I use is the old type miracle grow fertlizer dispenser. You just dump in the fertilizer and spray it out of the hose. In order to not get too high a concentration of fertilizer, I only fill it part way up with fertilizer. Maybe 1/3 of the way. Then when I'm done watering, I do a quick spray with the fertilizer. Truth be told, I used to use regular miracle grow but now use the tomatoe miracle grow most of the time. Every once in a while I still use a bag of regular miracle grow. I even use it on the compots. I do however do the compots last when the fertilizer is diluted quit a bit. Works for me.

Thanks to you both for info.Bob,I saw the miracle grow sprayer at Home Depot.It has inter-changeable patterns for spraying.I think I'll get it as it was only 10. & change. You said filling only a 1/3 with fertilizer in container & water to top?You water regularly with plain water 1st & then use the fertilizer setting after? Am I understanding you correctly???

Just understand that those types of sprayer vary alot on how much fertilizer they dispense as you us them... They do work tho...

I just went to check out a new sprayer to replace my hozon siphonex ones.I saw a miracle grow one but came home confused as it was filled with fertilizer but to be used on grass-26-8-??, I think.You were to fill the container with water --but it made 40 gal! I couldn't find anything that explained the ratio of fertilizer to water so I could use my own 20-20-20 powder.If anyone has used this sprayer or has any ideas for me adapting it for my use,please reply.:)

Why not just get a new siphonex?

If the volume of the bottle of fertilizer is known (it's probably somewhere on the label), it's pretty simple math.

For example, if it's a quart (i.e., 1/4 gallon), and it produces 40 gallons, then the mixing ratio is 40/0.25= 160:1. The all you do is put 160x the amount of fertilizer you want in the final, as-delivered gallon, fill the bottle the rest of the way with plain water, and away you go.

If you want 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, for example, then you'd add 1/2 x 160 = 80 teaspoons (1-2/3 cups), and fill it to the quart level with water.

Jane you have it correct. I first water my greenhouse and then do a quick but thorough spray with the fertilizer. I don't measure the fertilizer, just dump it into the container to anywhere from 1/3 or 1/2 full. You will see that in the container it starts out dark blue and gets lighter as you go. If I think it's too light I just stop, dump out some of the water in it and throw in some more fertilizer. Like I said before, I just try to leave the compots until last, but truth be told some times I screw up and they get watered first. Quick and easy, or I wouldn't be doing it at all.

Latest posts

Back