Spotted pardalote

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
I thought I'd post some snaps of this little guy. Normally very shy and fleeting, this one has been fighting his reflection in our front window everyday now for a week. He's not shy at all and looks at you as if you're not there.
They usually nest in a hole in the ground but sometimes use hanging baskets etc. Not much bigger than a walnut with wings.
Check out the second pic, staring at himself with real purpose!

Maybe some anger management could turn this dapper fella into a chick magnet.

Nice shots and a new one for me.

Nice one Mick. This bird is an absolute jewel. I don't think people outside of Australia would appreciate how small these birds are. Photos like these are rare. Normally they live at the top of trees, so they are very hard to see and photograph. Most people in Australia would never have seen or heard of these birds. They would have heard of their call though as it is loud, continuous and monotonous. The whole forest can ring with their call.

I think he's awfully cute, and not mean-looking at all. Is it a member of the finch family?

Dot, it is not a finch. It is more closely related to the Thornbills. There are about 4-5 species of Pardelote. The Spotted Pardelote is probably the most beautiful species and is very common. The Spotted Pardelote builds burrows in the ground to breed in. This is why you are likely to see them this time of year as they are down low.

Mick's photo is of a male. Females aren't as colourful and have yellow spots on top of the head instead of white. Here are a few photos I took last year of a pair that was getting ready to breed. You can see the female on the left in the first photo.

I've just discovered where they are nesting.....A cut in the ground where we have leveled it off for a future pergola. Now I have had to fence it off from the cat.

I've just discovered where they are nesting.....A cut in the ground where we have leveled it off for a future pergola. Now I have had to fence it off from the cat.

Yes, a good idea to protect them from the cat. I was speaking to a local ranger the other night and he was telling me the damage cats inflict on pardalotes when they breed. Also my work colleague's cat recently brought a pardalote into the house. Fortunately it didn't kill it and it was released unharmed.

Latest posts

Back