spiking paphs...influences on eventual stem length

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio-guy

Reaction score
I have a couple of complex paphs that are starting to spike, and wondered if there is anything I can do to influence stem length of the flowers. They have been growing out doors for the summer, but will be back under artificial lights for their further development, and are now just sheaths with visible buds, less than an inch or two tall.
I realize part of this is genetic, but wondered if there are certain cultural aspects to it as well. Any advice?

Lower light levels are suppose to produce longer stems (reaching for the light) and longer longevity of the flowers.
:confused:I'm not sure if the complexes that spike/bud in their lower light conditions are going to be as effected as a higher light plant.
Are any first time bloomers? I have a second time bloomer that has a much longer stem than last year, so maturity might have an effect as well.

Good point Goldenrose. I find that complex Paphs generally tend to have longer spikes on second blooming compared to first.

The 3 that are spiking are all previous bloomers, the one i am most pleased about is one that has not bloomed in several years....I kept it alive, but only started taking better care of it again in the last yr when I discovered the forum. As i recall it will be a pale green that fades to white. It has no ID....it came as un unknown from a Chicago area dealer. I have been looking for nice white, so I will be glad to see this bloom again!

The 3 that are spiking are all previous bloomers, the one i am most pleased about is one that has not bloomed in several years....I kept it alive, but only started taking better care of it again in the last yr when I discovered the forum. As i recall it will be a pale green that fades to white. It has no ID....it came as un unknown from a Chicago area dealer. I have been looking for nice white, so I will be glad to see this bloom again!

:clap: WTG - we'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

Back