Quantcast

Specimen Promenea xanthina!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score

Right now, anything that blooms....or, or at least has more than one flower qualifies as a specimen in my greenhouse! :rollhappy:

I found this plant in bloom, buried under a bunch of dead leaves during the post freeze clean-up. Hoping for better next year!

rdlsreno

Reaction score
That is great John! Tough little plant. Mine is in bloom too!

Ramon:)

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
I never thought of Promanea as a garden plant for zone 4 . Just teasing - I once froze a Odm bictoniense rock solid, left it overnight in a car when outside the car it was -10 F (about -23 C) - the car stayed a bit warmer than outside - the pot and potting mix were frozen solid, lost all the leaves and psuedobulbs, but about 2 months later, new shoots came up from the rhizome. It took 5 or 6 years to recover, but I have bloomed it again.
The reziliance of orchids amazes me.
A "vague but true" recollection, I think you will have a better chance of getting regrowth after a freeze from Neotropical species over old world species.

B

biothanasis

Wonderful!!!!!! I could not keep my promenea (I can't remember the species)... :( I finally rot... didn't know the conditions to grow it in...

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Leo,
Thanks for your insight. There are a few things that look so very dead(!); but, I am loath to throw them out. Maybe there is hope for some with a rhizome. Most must be tossed of course; but, the few very special things will be set aside and watched closely for any signs of life. Thanks.

cnycharles

Peloric keiki
Reaction score
I think those flowers show that there is hope yet! Never give up until the last ray of hope is gone, and that promenea has two big yellow rays!