Spathoglottis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cdub

I love how this part of the forum get's more action than the "slipper" sections sometimes. It just goes to show that most of us have a thing for most orchids, not just the one's with pouches. Anyway, here's my Spathoglottis plicata in bloom now. I received 3, 5-inch seedlings from Suncoast Orchids in FL last year. These plants grow fast and I have to repot often. The plants are now in a 12-in. pot with numerous new growths, and leaves over 18 inches. Some web sources claim that this species enjoys partial shade, but mine grows in full sun practically all day and loves it. I recommend this plant to everyone, especially you deep south folks that may be able to grow it in your gardens.

Notice the lack of pesky ants! Yessss! I just removed the few that were on the plant the other day and moved the plant to a new location outside and they didn't find their way back. You can also see why they were hangin' around, the yummy sap on the floral bracts.

spathxj5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't smelled a fragrance yet, but that's because I wasn't paying much attention. I'll have to give the flowers a better whiff and I'll let you know.

Because I am too lazy to go look this up, what is the country of origin? U.S.? And is this a terrestrial orchid?

Yes, it is a terrestrial. I grow it in a mix of 1/4 med. grade bark and 3/4 Miracle Grow potting soil. Some people call it the "Philippine Orchid", but I think it has a large range from Malaysia-ish to New Guinea. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Back