Soubiryu Cometh!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Neofinetia falcata var. 'Soubiryu' (Kanji 双尾龍 ) is in bud. More photos will follow as they develop and open. Some of the buds have two spikes forming and some don't. It's pretty typical behavior for this variety. :p Enjoy!
June112010041reduc.jpg

Very cool! Is this a seedling? or a division of the original plant?
I have a seedling of this, but it is probably another year from blooming...
Pete

Very cool! Is this a seedling? or a division of the original plant?
I have a seedling of this, but it is probably another year from blooming...
Pete

I can't say for 100% certain, but I was told by the grower (and everything about the plant leads me to believe) it is a division of the original plant rather than a seedling. It was large and adult-looking when I got it a couple of years ago.

I happen to like the width and the curve of the leaves on this plant very much. The overall form is so pleasing to my eye that I would cherish this plant even if it did not have special flowers. :)

I hastily snapped some new photos today to show how the buds of 'Soubiryu' have progressed. There should be some open flowers within the next couple of days. The two developed spikes each carry five buds, three with twin spurs and two with single spurs, for a total of ten flowers, six of which will have double spurs. I don't yet know how many of the flowers will have two lips. There is a third budded spike just beginning to rise which is visible at the bottom of the first and fifth photos, but you must look closely in order to find it.

Later on in the evening I played around taking snapshots of the moon.

June1920100221024x768.jpg

June1920100411024x768.jpg

June1920100531024x768.jpg

June1920100561024x768.jpg

June1920100731024x768.jpg

...and here is Selene
June192010101crreduc.jpg

Awesome moon shot!

Interesting to see that some of the buds are single spurred - I guess that means those flowers won't have a second lip as well? Mine has consistently flowered with double flowers. Lots of buds on that baby, so you must be doing something right! :clap:

Thanks! :D

Actually, two buds have begun to open late today, one with two spurs and one with only a single spur. Both flowers, however, have two lips. This plant, however, has always been variable like this for me. It seems to like to mix things up. This is about the sixth time it has bloomed for me. :)

Great looking plant, nice photos, informative commentary, thanks for posting.
I just love neo buds with their curled spurs.

There is relatively little out there in English on Neos and forum posts like yours are all we newcomers have to learn from ... so thanks again.

I have been having a bit of fun and experimenting with focus-stacking when photographing some of my more compact neos. Will post in time.

Actually, two buds have begun to open late today, one with two spurs and one with only a single spur. Both flowers, however, have two lips. This plant, however, has always been variable like this for me. It seems to like to mix things up. This is about the sixth time it has bloomed for me. :)

Interesting that the single spur flowers still have two lips. I can see your plant doesn't have many growths either. This one just won't grow new growths and clump up - most others do so annually.

Interesting that the single spur flowers still have two lips. I can see your plant doesn't have many growths either. This one just won't grow new growths and clump up - most others do so annually.

Now one of the single-spurred flowers has opened with only a slightly double lip. :rollhappy: I took photos earlier today, but they turned out like crappola. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Sometimes the force simply isn't with me and there's nuthin' I can do about it. :p

Yeah, my plant isn't terribly vigorous either, but it sure has beautiful form. The leaves are nicely curved and fairly wide. The whole thing looks sturdy. I would call it slow and steady. I am hoping it will sprout a new growth or two sometime within the next twelve months. I think I'll hit it with some HB-101 and see what happens. :drool:

Here are a couple of shots showing the opened 'Soubiryou' flowers. Some of the flowers have two spurs and two lips, some have one spur and two lips, and some have one spur and one lip. The fragrance is strong and sweet. I detect a lot of vanilla.
June2220100781024x768Post.jpg

June222010018Post.jpg

Latest posts

Back