Sorcerer's Apprentice 4N X warscewuczianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grandma M

Z-SorcerersApprentice4NXwarscewiczi.jpg

Sorcer's Apprentice 4N X warscewiczianum (from Fox Valley). 4th bloom.

For 3 years it bloomed in March.(3/05, 3/06, 3/07)

This year it decided to bloom again in August. I made no objections. :cool:

I'm not sure how to label this guy. Is it still warscesiczianum? :confused:

Your question pretty much clarifies the issues regarding registrations these days at the RHS and taxonomic changes. The answer depends on which version of warscewiczianum was used. Was it the popowii version or the one we have been calling wallisii? This confusion will lead to even more messed up parentages..........How will the hybridizer register the cross, and are they aware of the taxonomic changes?

Nice blooms! Does the plant take on the S.A. parent size or is smaller?

Popowii or wallisii, I prefer either name over the wa%@#^% name. It's probably the only name change that I welcome whole-heartedly. At least the name is easy to spell and pronounce! :p

I would say that the other parent is warscewiczianum (wallisii), if it had been warscewiczianum (popowii) I think i would have been darker and more colour. But as "goldenrose" said, ask Tom witch varity it was.

It is not a large plant. It has 4 very substantial growths, it grows rather upright,and the longest leaf is 19".

Tom. Please join in. You personally sold it to me.

Thank goodness it does not grow like Les Dirouilles which is Sorcers Apprentice 4N 'Fantastic' X Grande 4N 'Gigantea'. I had one of those which just finished blooming. By the time it finished blooming, it was 5' tall. Lots of flowers, but taller than I would like.

Grandma M
I know from where your plant came from. The cross originated with Fritz Schomburg. The compact dark colored Panamanian form of caudatum was used, which in those days we called it warscewiczianum. The cross was registered as Phrag Inti's Tears. This was named after the Inca Goddess, Inti. I don't know the rest of the lore it refers to. Fritz sent many flasks to a wholesale grower in Hawaii. These were sold to many of the local retailers in bud 2004 through 2006. I would not be surprised if Fox Vally bought a few too. If your plant came with a yellow tag, and the cross number had either a QF or an F or FS as the leading characters, followed by a 4 digit number, your plant came from the original batch of seedlings and you can be certain that it was made with the dark colored, compact growing Panamanian species that used to be called warscewiczianum, now is called popowii. So write Inti's Tears on your tag and 2004, the year registered. Let the RHS do what it will. I got an HCC/AOS on the only one I kept of the 2 dozen I had bought. A great cross.
Leo

But what happened with the dark colour then? SA are also pretty dark coloured so I can't understand! Could it be that the colour of popowii isn't dominant and therefor it looks like a SA with long petals?

Grandma:
Is the colours exactly like the blooms on the photo or is it darker live?

Leo. The number on the yellow tag says 7529, I'm not sure, but I think that number may be a FV inventory number.

Magicboy. On my monitor, the color in the photo looks almost perfect color compared to the actual plant.

Now I am really interested in finding out what I have. TOM, PLEASE JUMP IN WITH AN ANSWER.

Before I went to Housermann's (2/25/05), I talked to Lynn Housermann on the phone. I said I wanted a nice Phrag and asked her to make the selection for me. I really didn't know much about Phrag selections at that time. When I arrived there, she had this sitting on her desk. She said she had asked Tom to pick out a plant for me. This is what he picked. It was in bud.

Whenever it blooms, I think of Lynn. I think Lynn is a special person. She has given me the nickname of "her Michigan Mother'...funny story behind that name.

Hey Grandma M, I looked at the tags on my plants, 7529 is Fritz Schomburgs number for the cross. You plant came from the same seed pod as my plant. Veritas! That is not a Fox Valley inventory number. So go ahead and label the plant Inti's Tears.
Magic Boy, I saw the warcsewiczianum (popowii) used, it was the real deal, fairly dark too. Grandma M, Gilda and my plant are about average for this particular cross in terms of how dark the color is. I actually prefer when more of the yellow honey tones of the background colors come through to set off the red highlights. These plants are consistient with popowii breeding.
Leo

Hey Grandma M, I looked at the tags on my plants, 7529 is Fritz Schomburgs number for the cross. You plant came from the same seed pod as my plant. Veritas! That is not a Fox Valley inventory number. So go ahead and label the plant Inti's Tears.
. These plants are consistient with popowii breeding.
Leo
My tag has 7529 on it also . I bought this from Chesterfield Orchids 3 years ago.

THANKS, Leo. That is interesting. It's always interesting to know more about my individual plants.

Mine has turned a bit darker now and the petals have grown longer, 7 inches today. I have at least 2 more buds showing now. I will take another pic and post it but I will wait a few days and see if the third bud opens first.

Do you find that your plant is not a large as the regular SA? I wonder if it will bloom twice again next year. Leo, Gilda, how often does your bloom?

Back