Sorcerer’s Apprentice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a SA that I rescued some time ago and it's been with me in recovery for two years. New growth is
coming along, but quite slowly. Any advice is appreciated for this Phrag.

mine is quite large— in a 10 inch pot. sits in water I use k- lite and kelp max. it sits in the middle of the bench so it gets some sun(thru the shade cloth) and let it dry out between watering don’t fuss over it much and it blooms every year now. I think this year is the most blooms and still going

This is one of the better Phrag. hybrids, not only because it is hard to kill, grows like a weed with minimal care, and produces flowers almost continuously, forever, on a larger plant, sorcerers apprentice is also an excellent parent in breeding and under utilized. It is a big plant, that being said, most Phrags do require space as they get larger. Even besseae spreads out of its pot and a 10 year old plant can by several feet wide if left un touched.

Culture for sorcerers apprentice is easy. Warm, constantly moist (the longifolium dominates here), and dont be afraid of bright light. These can tolerate low light (the longifolium again) but do best in moderate to bright light, which also helps keep the leaves below 3 feet on larger plants. Size and its prolific floral habit means it needs constant fertilizer to keep going. Like the species, every watering at 25% strength and an occasional r/o flush is all you need.

Btw a great form.

Best,

Sorcerer's Apprentice 'Fantasia' (from Hadley Cash) was my first phrag. Hadley took the division on the spot and put it in bark, but upon getting it home, I moved it into semi-hydroponic culture. I have had it for 15 years or so and cannot tell you how many times I've divided it to keep it under control.

SA is a sprawler and new growth is coming along well. I'm over-anxious and mine is 'Fantasia' from HC as well.
I don't mind the sprawling. It's a pretty plant anyways. I want to know what the damn flower looks like!!!

Back