Sophronitis Surprise!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few days ago I was watering my plants in the cool tank and almost fell off my step stool when I saw this plant with 3 buds. I gasped because I have probably murdered as many of these as the number of eggs enough to fill two crates of a dozen!

If anyone can guess what it is before the big reveal?!? Tip: the hardest species in its group to grow and keep alive more than a year.

93B0582B-D9AD-46AB-9FCE-F4D2E7D1138A.jpegCE3BF3FC-0D7D-4C7C-9023-0CE934368E3D.jpeg

I was going to guess coccinea f. flava, because I thought they were even more difficult than the type, but the buds look pretty orange. Is this a 4N form from Japanese breeding lines? It looks nice and chunky. I’ve been slowly killing one for the past year.

I was going to guess coccinea f. flava, because I thought they were even more difficult than the type, but the buds look pretty orange. Is this a 4N form from Japanese breeding lines? It looks nice and chunky. I’ve been slowly killing one for the past year.
Hehe I will elaborate ID and provenance once the flowers are fully open.

Few days ago I was watering my plants in the cool tank and almost fell off my step stool when I saw this plant with 3 buds. I gasped because I have probably murdered as many of these as the number of eggs enough to fill two crates of a dozen!

If anyone can guess what it is before the big reveal?!? Tip: the hardest species in its group to grow and keep alive more than a year.

View attachment 30973View attachment 30974
Like others, my guess is coccinea. I always look forward to your cool tank posts for clues on this one. I have a seedling that’s in its 3rd year of growing strong. No idea what I’m doing and following your success here. May the fat promising bud gods shine upon your miracle.

View attachment 30973View attachment 30974
Leslie, what is the glaucous-leafed fan yo the right of the hopeful mystery please?

Latest posts

Back