Sophronitis Surprise!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leslie, what kind of lights are you using in there? Led, fluo?

C'mon, Leslie! Let the agony end, so that we can concentrate on enjoying the wonderfull flowers and plant!!!!!
Let’s all take a moment to take a breath in (after looking at these breathless flowers) and enjoy the blooming. Not many moments like this happen everyday. 😂

Very happy plant, Leslie! How large are the blooms? I just realized your plant is from a division of one of my C. coccinea (I grow 2 clones). I got my first plant from J and L in 2011. Sold as a tetraploid, from Japanese breeding. I divided it and sold a few plants in Ontario. The shape is better under your growing conditions.Sophronitis coccinea_web_modifié-1.jpg

Very happy plant, Leslie! How large are the blooms? I just realized your plant is from a division of one of my C. coccinea (I grow 2 clones). I got my first plant from J and L in 2011. Sold as a tetraploid, from Japanese breeding. I divided it and sold a few plants in Ontario. The shape is better under your growing conditions.View attachment 31112
Hi Lise! Yes it’s your coccinea!! I got this division from Marcotte and it bloomed in my cold tank. Perhaps the high humidity (90% average) kept petals to develop fuller? Blooms currently at 5.5 cm NS.

I hear it may expand over the next couple weeks?

I understand that this cultivar had been previously named ‘Franceville’. Was it a J&L name or yours?

Hi Lise! Yes it’s your coccinea!! I got this division from Marcotte and it bloomed in my cold tank. Perhaps the high humidity (90% average) kept petals to develop fuller? Blooms currently at 5.5 cm NS.

I hear it may expand over the next couple weeks?

I understand that this cultivar had been previously named ‘Franceville’. Was it a J&L name or yours?

Yes, the bloom can expand over the next couple of weeks. That's how they bloom with me! My other plant is very strange. The flower is totally feflexed at opening and become very flat a few days later! But those plants are only grown at 70 % RH ;)

The name 'Franceville' is mine.

These opened so fast!

why does it look so orange compared to the plant from which know it was divided?
Coccinea red-orange color is very hard to capture due to color saturation and type of lighting. Mine is high up on LED lights plus iPhone hi def camera that captures this color. Other phones or camera under different lightning sources can make it more red visually.

I've never grown under led lights but I did notice that colours appear brighter and shiner under fluo tubes.

This is an extraordinary beauty and the red is eye catching. Congrats Leslie ! 👌
Coccinea red-orange color is very hard to capture due to color saturation and type of lighting. Mine is high up on LED lights plus iPhone hi def camera that captures this color. Other phones or camera under different lightning sources can make it more red visually.

The colour red can be a challenge to digital cameras and the light also has an important influence how the colours, not only the red one, are pictured. If you want an exact pictured colour you must adjust the colour temperature with an photo editing program.
.......why does it look so orange compared to the plant from which know it was divided?
Brucher, beside what I wrote above I think the photo of Erythrone is slightly oversaturated. You can see this also at the blue/green colour of the leaves.

Last edited:
This is an extraordinary beauty and the red is eye catching. Congrats Leslie ! 👌

The colour red can be a challenge to digital cameras and the light also has an important influence how the colours, noz only the red one, are pictured. If you want an exact pictured colour you must adjust the colour temperature with an photo editing program.

Brucher, beside what I wrote above I think the photo of Erythrone is slightly oversaturated. You can see this also at the blue/green colour of the leaves.
Thank you both for these explanations! My poor baby will probably only have cell phone photos but hopefully they’ll be true enough.

.......My poor baby will probably only have cell phone photos but hopefully they’ll be true enough.

Brucher, it's like always with technical issues... the input in a system rules the exactness of the output. If you keep this in mind.....everything is o.k., also cell phone photos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back