Sophronitis pygmaeas: A Color Portrait

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pygmaeas are the lilliputians of the Cattleya tribe, with plant height 2-3 cm and large flower ratio (flowers can be 2-4 cm!).

These two plants of mine are currently blooming under the care of my orchid buddy in Brazil. One is the red type form and the other the yellow flava form. Both were selected for full round shape.

The pot size is 2 inch!

E386E07D-A111-43FC-8C04-1C2864A88B1F.jpegD63C20BA-71F3-42F6-B782-262CA3EDDB10.jpeg
814630EE-95F4-4440-8A91-F68EC67ECD85.jpeg6CB9E070-6185-41F8-9155-EF9AB8BD00B7.jpeg

Although they moved it as Cattleya pygmaea, I feel like it’s too different from the large lips and floral/morphology of the trianae or purpurata to be in this class. Thus I kept the name. Just more logical.

I'd like to post a picture of my pygmea here but want to make sure that is ok to do so. Don't want to commit a breach of protocol. I'm rather new to taking part in a forum like this and I do not want to offend anyone.

Mostly from Brazil and Japan sources.I

I’m ready to ask for a list. I can’t seem to find what I really want. I want flasks these days, mostly. But even the iffily rewarding stuff on eBay that can satisfy my compulsion in a pinch has gone way way down in terms of variety… is there a big secret entrée into the world of Brazil and Japan?

I’m ready to ask for a list. I can’t seem to find what I really want. I want flasks these days, mostly. But even the iffily rewarding stuff on eBay that can satisfy my compulsion in a pinch has gone way way down in terms of variety… is there a big secret entrée into the world of Brazil and Japan?
These nurseries carry them at Redlands and Tamiami:

From Brazil: nurseries AWZ, Bela Vista, Floralia, Paulista and Miranda orchids

From Japan: Hanajima Orchids

Latest posts

Back