Sophronitis ghillanyi flamea ‘Isabel Rosalia’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neat little thing, but is it a beauty?
It's all in the eyes of the beholder...I like it and find it a li'll flaming beau!
Now considered Cattleya…. Hmmmm 😳.
I wouldn't hurry to change the tag...someone might come up with crucial evidence, proving that not all Sophronitis could meaningfully be transferred to Cattleya! 😉

Talking of which: I wonder, whether at some point in time, if we sit tight, Neofinetia will again be ressurected as a species in its own right? In the short time, I've been in this game, it started out as Neofinetia falcata, then transferred to Phalaenopsis, now Vanda falcata - why not just go full cirkle and return to the point of departure?!

It's all in the eyes of the beholder...I like it and find it a li'll flaming beau!

I wouldn't hurry to change the tag...someone might come up with crucial evidence, proving that not all Sophronitis could meaningfully be transferred to Cattleya! 😉

Talking of which: I wonder, whether at some point in time, if we sit tight, Neofinetia will again be ressurected as a species in its own right? In the short time, I've been in this game, it started out as Neofinetia falcata, then transferred to Phalaenopsis, now Vanda falcata - why not just go full cirkle and return to the point of departure?!
Why not sit tight just refuse to use Vanda?

Super cute plant. It looks like you are working on cornering the market on flameas of all the Cattleya-esque species.;)

While the Laelia genus is used in the horticultural world for the "Brazilian Laelias", the foundational species for Laelia is the Mexican Laelia speciosa. The fact that all of the Brazilian plants with 8 pollina were called Laelia has turned out to be wrong as these have no close relationship to the Mexican Laelias and are only very, very distantly related. This was a debate at the time of their discovery and the sole basis for inclusion in Laelia was the presence of 8 pollina like the Mexican Laelias. Molecular data and the biogeography makes it clear that the Mexican Laelias are vastly different to the Brazilian "Laelias". Since the Mexican plants were the first to use the Laelia name, that is the correct usage. If one fancies oneself a lumper this plant should be Cattleya and as a splitter it would be Hoffmannseggella for all of the Parviflorae species ("Brazilian rupiculous Laelias"). Last I heard the taxonomy police are very underfunded and won't be coming after you no matter what you care to put on the label of your plant :). That being said, most of my plants started to grow a bit better once I changed the labels over to Cattleya. Could just be a coincidence.

Leslie, lovely and cute flowers of your rupicolous Cattleya Laelia. 👍

As Geoff already wrote, these plants of Brazil started as rupicolous Laelias, than some were moved to Hoffmannseggella, than to Sophronitis and in the temporary end they are Cattleyas. I understand almost all changes ..... but the transferring to Sophronitis not really...
...........That being said, most of my plants started to grow a bit better once I changed the labels over to Cattleya. Could just be a coincidence.
I just kept the name Laelia on the tag of my Laelia rupestris ....... and it also grows quite well. 🤗

Leslie, lovely and cute flowers of your rupicolous Cattleya Laelia. 👍

As Geoff already wrote, these plants of Brazil started as rupicolous Laelias, than some were moved to Hoffmannseggella, than to Sophronitis and in the temporary end they are Cattleyas. I understand almost all changes ..... but the transferring to Sophronitis not really...

I just kept the name Laelia on the tag of my Laelia rupestris ....... and it also grows quite well. 🤗
Laelia it is!

Back