Sophronitis coccinea aurea ‘Masako Hanajima’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! My brain is going to shut down it is racing with thought, think of all the cattleya hybrids that have been made with coccinea using the orange /red that could be remade with this bright yellow star. It will take years or decades. Also breeders will need to note which coccinea variety was used. I will be making a post soon, I need to get some business done. Below is a stunning little Rhyncattleanthe with 25% coccinea in the parentage. The color is nearly luminescent.Lovely F3.jpg

Hanajima Orchids from Japan.

I tried to buy a division of the FCC plant, but no luck. But I’m happy with the blooming sister (last pic) and the 4 unbloomed sibs (yes another one popped up the last day of show 🤭).

These coccineas grow only in my cool tank. Anywhere else in my home is a death sentence. They take a long time to establish. I bought 3 different coccinea aurea divisions last year and they took almost 8 months of sulking before they showed any sign of life (throwing new growths now finally). The flowers of these 3 according to Hanajima is as good if not better than this current FCC. Imagine that!
Do you have contact info for Hanajima?

Just for fun I dug up some old photos of plants I've seen at shows here in bygone days. Sorry for the image quality.
The first is from the Fukuoka Orchid Expo 2006, and the next from the Tokyo Grand Prix 2010. Very different flowers.

Attachments

• Aurea06.jpg
    Aurea06.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Aurea10.JPG
    Aurea10.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 1
Interesting history of the top plants of the past… now the form on mine has improved rounder petals from selective breeding, probably lineage from those plants. Thanks for the comparison pics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back