Sophronitis coccinea aurea ‘Masako Hanajima’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This stunning bright yellow coccinea got an FCC at the Tamiami show. So round! Guess who bought the sister plants (plus 3 unbloomed sibs lol).

* Had Francisco Miranda help confirmed and do a comparison in case I change my mind lol.

What say my orchid friends here?

C2DFACD7-FC19-498F-B122-365A7822EEDB.jpeg75E8C713-EF16-4516-8129-BAAE4F5FA296.jpegE030621D-E13F-4BF5-A48F-B559CA61384B.jpeg23432F25-87EF-4002-B81B-F6A5B8CBC9E7.jpeg

When you locate good material, take advantage of crossing superior plants with one another, this is what can happen!
There isn’t the shadow of a doubt that these are spectacular clones!!!👍‼️

Who was selling those
Hanajima Orchids from Japan.

I tried to buy a division of the FCC plant, but no luck. But I’m happy with the blooming sister (last pic) and the 4 unbloomed sibs (yes another one popped up the last day of show 🤭).

These coccineas grow only in my cool tank. Anywhere else in my home is a death sentence. They take a long time to establish. I bought 3 different coccinea aurea divisions last year and they took almost 8 months of sulking before they showed any sign of life (throwing new growths now finally). The flowers of these 3 according to Hanajima is as good if not better than this current FCC. Imagine that!

Leslie, you have special conditions to grow coccinea, right? Could you briefly describe, please?
Yes Terry.

They grow in my cool wine tank with 80-90% humidity, LED lights at 1500-2000 fc and T range of 12-15C nights and 23-25C days all year long. They are watered 1-2 times per week with RO water and sprayed daily. Media is bark/perlite bottom half and top half NZ moss. Feeding once a week with K-lite and flushed 30 min later.

Here’s one in bloom now:

CBAEBF36-742E-4981-8E00-AEC72CAFA23D.jpeg65E9591E-C422-4EA1-AC49-3C34E847BBCB.jpegF9F00426-F084-465A-8B0B-62823FC6D388.jpeg

Leslie, that sparkling color just assaulted my eyes! If this is a cool grower, I might try one or two. The shape is
terrific. Do you think this lovely can be mounted in a cool, very humid greenhouse with LED grow lights and
some sun when there is any?

Leslie, that sparkling color just assaulted my eyes! If this is a cool grower, I might try one or two. The shape is
terrific. Do you think this lovely can be mounted in a cool, very humid greenhouse with LED grow lights and
some sun when there is any?
They grow on trees in cool humid areas so I think it will work as long as you put them in the brightest spot.

Leslie- if your wine cooler maxes at 25C, what temperature range do you set for your apartment?
There are micro niches around my apartment. I set the T to 25 in daytime but can get to 30 in warmest areas or stay cooler by the windows/balcony doors that are slightly open (0.5 cm) even in winter that keeps the max at 18-22 (drops to 15-18 nights, sometimes 12 in fall when I open them wide).

This stunning bright yellow coccinea got an FCC at the Tamiami show. So round! Guess who bought the sister plants (plus 3 unbloomed sibs lol).

* Had Francisco Miranda help confirmed and do a comparison in case I change my mind lol.

What say my orchid friends here?

View attachment 37790View attachment 37791View attachment 37793View attachment 37792
When you flask crosses or selfings of these, please sign me up for one. I don’t have a cool tank but have now raised two coccinea on my windowsill from half-inch deflasklings to bloom. Dying for this lovely bright yellow.

Latest posts

Back