Sophronitis cernua

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
IMG_4838_zps9ed05bf5.jpg

cernua2d_zpsc0b85004.jpg

Beautifully grown! I've wanted one of these since the mid-80s. I think I will :)

I pollinated two of the flowers from the last round of flowering and both pollinations took.

(at 50 days after pollination)
IMG_4969_zps5142fd2b.jpg

One of the cross is using Broughtonia sanguinea pollen.
cernuasanguinea_zps707fc070.jpg

The capsule of this cross turned yellow after developing for 50 days and I sowed the seeds several days ago. There were plenty of seeds within the capsule but under the microscope, there's no clearly visible embryo within the transparent seed (could either be empty seeds or the embryos are still too immature - Time will tell). And a photo of the empty capsule after sowing:
IMG_4972_zpse0d6969b.jpg

The other pollination is between two different clones, the female parent has slightly better color (slightly redder) but I like the shape of the pollen parent better. The capsule is yet to show any signs of ripening 50 days after pollination.
cernuacross_zpsbff44c37.jpg

thats a great show.
How do you grow them?

Last, but not least, sorry for missing your question. They are grown in a growth room set at 25 deg C day and 20 deg C night (77 deg F day, 68 deg F night). Light source is T5 tubes 10 cm from the plants. The mounted plant is watered daily or every other day, while the other two plants are potted in tightly packed sphagnum moss. These potted ones are watered to saturation and allowed to dry completely between waterings, once per week.

Back