SOOS 2015 show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALToronto

Got some awards for my living wall!

altoronto-albums-living-wall-v-2-0-picture11417-soos-2015-show.jpg

altoronto-albums-living-wall-v-2-0-picture11418-soos-2015-show.jpg

Congratulations! It was quite lovely to see. Sorry I didn't happen to run into you :(

Congratulations! It was quite lovely to see. Sorry I didn't happen to run into you :(

I'm sorry as well. I didn't stay at the display the entire time, though.

Thanks everyone. Angela, the wall gets wrapped in a lot of thin sheet foam, so it protects the plants and keeps them from freezing in -19C weather. This is probably the coldest move in / move out weather the show has ever had. We're breaking temperature records this weekend. But the attendance is good.

Thank you!!

It's heavy, especially with the bottom basin full of wet lava rock. I would guess 150 kg or a little over 300 lbs. We don't lift it by hand. I have a hydraulic scissor lift cart, and we built a special stand on wheels for it, with space for the cart in the centre. So we use the cart to lift it from its ledge on my dining room wall (after removing the screws holding it against the wall), roll it just far enough away to place the wheeled stand behind it, and drop it gently onto the stand.

Two strong guys (my husband and a helper) need to keep the wall balanced while it is moved. I usually operate the scissor lift cart.

We always need to rent a cube van to move it to and from a show. The ramp into the truck is indispensable. In this cold weather, we wrapped the plants in two 40-ft (13 m) rolls of thin sheet foam, about 5 layers thick. Total exposure to -20C temps was less than 1 minute each time, to and from the truck. The truck was above 0 inside.

Impressive wall and feat to get it to the show. Congrat's on the award. You have a very unique and interesting display for sure.

Latest posts

Back