Something Growing out of Paph. fairrieanum Pod.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is the selfing I tried back in January. The pod has turned slightly darker last month.

As I was watering the plant today, I noticed something green and tiny peaking out at the bract. It looks as if a tiny plant is growing out of it.

Have you seen this kind of development before??:confused:

8xMGAzXl.jpg

January? And this is August. I doubt there is any viable seed in it -- it would be plumper by now. I think Lance's explanation is correct.

January? And this is August. I doubt there is any viable seed in it -- it would be plumper by now. I think Lance's explanation is correct.

This is only slightly plumper than the ovary. So I had my doubt but someone told me some skinny pods can be full of seeds and some fat pods can be void. So, I have no idea what's going on.

Actually the ovary started to swell soon after pollination, and grew this big in about two months.
The only thing that change since then is the color. It's showing brown since two months ago. And the pod looks to be shrinking a little bit. Dead??

Someone told me this species can take long, like 9-10 minimum.
I don't even know which lab I should contact.
I'm in big need of help as to how to progress from here.

I have a bunch of other pods from February, reciprocal of vini Maudiae x delenatii. Both are very plump.
I also have Norito Hasegawa x fairrie.

From March, I have green bulldog x white brachy, emersonii hybrid x white brachy, malipoense x white brachy, (malipoense x fanaticum)x white brachy,

Help me!!!

I agree this is probably a late attempt at a second flower. Speculating... There's some viable seed, enough to trigger the response to keep the pod and spike active, but not enough to suppress new bud development when the plant was otherwise ready for it. Otherwise, we're seeing a Paph keiki. It will be interesting to see if/how it develops.

It doesn't look like a potential bud at the moment. No hairs. It looks just like a miniature leaf. I will keep you updated on it as it progresses further.

Two of my fairrieanums developed the same thing like that at the base of their capsules. It is a kind of keiki as you may know it from Phalaenopsis. I tried to grow these tiny plantlets in moss but I didn't succeed. Both died after some month.

Actually the ovary started to swell soon after pollination, and grew this big in about two months.
The only thing that change since then is the color. It's showing brown since two months ago. And the pod looks to be shrinking a little bit. Dead??

Someone told me this species can take long, like 9-10 minimum.
I don't even know which lab I should contact.
I'm in big need of help as to how to progress from here.

Be patient!
This pod looks exactly the same as the pod of my fairrieanum. I will harvest it in two weeks for green pod sowing. Then the capsule will have developed for nine month.
If you like to do dry seed you will have to wait until the capsule will split by itself. This will probably be in late November or December belonging to your specific growing conditions.

Good luck!

Ok, I guess I really need to contact some labs and find someone who will take the green pod within the next one month.
I hope this generates some seeds and plants.

The mother plant had a fantastic flower and apparently growing well at OZ. It came with one growth with a spike plus two pubs and one previously bloomed growth.
Since then, the oldest growth dried up, one tiny new growth started.
The two new growths have been very very slow to grow this far. And strangely small compared to the growth bearing a spike.

It's either just a slow plant and my condition is not helping. lol
Then again, I hear doom stories regarding this species a lot.
At least mine is growing. :)

Latest posts

Back