Someone shake me until my head clears

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
O.K. so we have one dog, Romeo, and 2 siamese cats. Hubby has been mentioning that in the next year or two he'd like to get a "running dog" as Romeo is probably around 6 or 7 and his little weiner dog legs are starting to get slower. My doorbell rang yesterday and I was *unlucky* enough to answer it. My next door neighbor(who owns 2 dogs) was picking her dogs up from the groomers. A customer of theirs, pretty much abandoned her dog and said she can't take care of him anymore because she just had twins. People... Anyway, my neighbor took the dog and handed it off to me. I told her I would keep him overnight to see how he does. So far he's ignored the cats, got along pretty well with Romeo and is a lap lover. The big negative, he's "supposed" to be a year old, still has his boy parts and wants to tag the house. I think he was bought to breed with because he, again 'supposedly' was $800 and has all his equipment. Oh yeah and he's definitely NOT a running dog. LOL.

img4747.jpg

We would never have picked out a chiuaua. I really don't know if we should keep him since hubby will want a running dog in a few years. 3 dogs is a bit much!

A pet has to be wanted. Sounds obvious I know, but he will be around for years. So it may be a better gift for someone else.

Oh, man! What a cute doggy and that is coming from a cat person! It's awfully difficult to give back a dog when they look at you with those eyes. As for advice, what does your heart tell you? And what does your mind tell you? Which one wins?

I suppose one could be philosophical and say that this one found you and it was meant to be. But if he really doesn't fit into your lifestyle, then maybe he would be better off in a different home. And as for breeding him, if he doesn't have papers, that's not a good idea. The puppies wouldn't be able to be registered. Without papers, you might as well have him altered at the vet's office. That can cause them t o stop tagging, too.

In the end, the decision is yours and your husband's. Make it before he becomes a member of the family.

Good luck!
Nik

We just handed him back to the neighbor. It was a tough decision, but he really just doesn't fit with our lifestyle. He'd be perfect for an elderly, lonely woman or someone that's inactive. He wants to sit in your lap 24/7.

He's got papers. The neighbor will be getting those today. Though he needs neutering right away!

I'm sure that it was tough, but probably the right thing to do if he doesn't fit into your lifestyle. Good luck with whatever future doggy that does join your family. :)

I read there are so many hundreds of chihuahuas in California shelters, they are shipping them east where they are rarer. What a shame, the origional owner didn't have it fixed and find it a good home....

Candace-What a hard decision you had to make! We live in the country and people dump unwanted pets all the time.I don't think people are aware the pet usually ends up road kill or struggling to survive. I wish we could have given homes to more but we already have 3 dogs. You did the right thing and all of us support you!

I read there are so many hundreds of chihuahuas in California shelters, they are shipping them east where they are rarer. What a shame, the origional owner didn't have it fixed and find it a good home....

From what I understand it was the Bay area shelters, S.F. etc that were doing that. We weren't overrun with them in our area, that I know about. Maybe this is why the owner dropped him at the groomers. Or she was worried he'd be euthanized? At any rate, he'll make someone a great pet, if they remove his bits and his tagging behavior goes away. I'd never seen an all black one before, so maybe that's a rarer color and why the owner hadn't neutered him. I could never have an unneutered male dog living in the house!

And Heather, I know this time of the year is too stressful to do that to you. Though if you're interested I know where he is. :evil:

Latest posts

Back