Some seedling progress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, tent in a basement. More room than when I grew in my bedroom, but so far, things don't grow quite as well down there.
I started growing in basement a few years ago and temp is one of the challenges, especially for flask seedlings. I killed a lot of flask seedlings by using my former method (dome over heated tray and NZ sphag). The heat mat was plugged into light timer so temp dropped to 60F, all the dew fell in the crowns and within 24 hrs of deflasking I had killed large numbers. It was kind of spotty certain paphs seemed more susceptible. I have a tented off area for my flask seedlings now and it helps a lot.

Also, I grow mostly phrags which like the cooler basement temp. I see that some of my warmer loving orchids tolerate but don't thrive in that environment.

Another fun thing. Harvested a thaianum pod today. #1 x #4. This is line breeding for fragrance and easier plants. Both parents bloomed less than two years from flask, are good rooters without the need for 70° nights year-round, and both are intensely fragrant (for their size) View attachment 25722with a scent very much like Phalaenopsis bellina.
Hey I’m curious about this statement: “without the need for 70° nights year round…” My lone thaianum (compot of 2 plants) is growing well for 2 years in a high open decorative terrarium in a southeast window. Temperatures are ambient with no effort to control them. Winter nights drop into the 40s in that window. Are you saying thaianum will never bloom in those conditions? Or that it can’t survive? My plant looks great and has grown several new leaves but as of yet no sign of bloom and the growths do look blooming size…thank you.

I was referring specifically to the plants in my care. That said, 40s is a bit cold for thaianum!
Dang it I’m torn…I feel like the plants are happy, winter and summer. No burning. Growth is slow but perfect. I don’t really have a warm winter spot. If it doesn’t bloom in another year, I’ll do something.

Well, this one's not a seedling, but a new acquisition that'll definitely be put to use in breeding,20211124_161515.jpg Paph volonteanum. Also, it's currently the rarest plant in my collection.

Beginning to deflask my cross of thaianum x sukhakulii, which Ross Hella registered as Memoria Rapee Sagarik this year. Grew like weeds in flask once they got into my hot growspace. Hope to see blooms in less than 2 years!

nice roots!.... can't wait to see the outcome!

It's almost pure green with white petal "spoons" and a tiny flush of pale purple on the proximal petal margins and the staminode shield.
Very interesting. My standard volonteanum’s leaves are much more silvery. Thank you for the comparison and explanation.

Attachments

• B6392D6B-8035-4573-928E-9C2F145B5CE3.jpeg
    B6392D6B-8035-4573-928E-9C2F145B5CE3.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 7
Back to seedlings: Here are a couple very tiny Liparis lilifolia that I had to deflask early due to contamination. Thought for sure they were goners, but apparently not. The leaf you see is barely 1/4in long.20211126_160825.jpg

Flasking is going well, too. Can't tell you what these are, beyond "Mini Cattleys," because they aren't my crosses, but I'm pleased with the progress. 0d01744f33c4043df38f1cb59221f81b.0.jpga515498e8711ece78da7f288ce3af9e3.0.jpg

That is cool!!
I'm not getting into flasking mysefl...yet. I need some big space first. I'm sad enough not to be able to grow lots and lots of seedlings out of flasks.

Chiu Hua Dancer x St Swithin, deflasked around August 2018
View attachment 25255

Wössner Kolorand x rothschildianum, this was deflasked late fall of 2018, if memory serves
View attachment 25256
Paph Madame Casiello Seedlings, these are blooming size, based on the size of the first to bloom
View attachment 25257View attachment 25258
Platanthera blephariglottis, 1st year seedlings
View attachment 25259

Cochlioda rosea x Gomesa echinata, from a flask John Dunkleberger gave me. Deflasked Nov 2020, big pseudobulb is the growth since deflasking.
View attachment 25260
1st year Calopogon tuberosus
View attachment 25261
Paph Triple Bella x micranthum (supposedly). About 2 years out of flask.
View attachment 25262
Paph Micran Magic, about 2 years out of flask. Slow but steady growers.
View attachment 25263
Paph philippinense v. roebbelenii, from Woodstream. Deflasked Dec 28, 2016. Broke the stem by accident or it would have bloomed last year.
View attachment 25264
Very happy, strong seedlings

Latest posts

Back