Some seedling progress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, my State Flower! They are native to MN. They are an orchid that loves the rich acidic Northern MN soil! They are common near the peat bogs that host Tamarack and Black Spruce. The dropped needles keep the soil on the acidic side! I can grow them on the East side of my home. They prefer east morning sun with shade during the hot time of the day. They can be very tall with gorgeous strappy foliage. No one here recommends pot culture, so good luck! They go dormant under the snow in winter. I do know folks in northern MN who grow large patches of Cyp Reginae, on the East side of their home on Lake Vermilion! I got to see the incredible display while they all were in bloom! Took my breath away! I expected small plants, and they were tall and the flowers good sized! Very Impressive!! They thankfully are grown by Orchid growers since gathering wild orchids is illegal. They are treasured and protected! We have seen Reginae more and more offered for sale! MN orchid growers (at least one) has been working on growing them and hybridising to get orchids that are friendlier to garden culture. Now that I have successfully grown Phrags, I know I am capable of giving them the care they need to succeed. They need to be kept moist, not wet…
I ENVY you your stash of baby Cyp Reginae

Eek, let me condense lol.

I did reginae because I could.

They grow in pots just fine.

I'll do ciliaris later in the year, more interested in cracking grandiflora/psycodes/peramoena. Ciliaris & it's close relatives are pretty easy to germinate but not so easy in pot culture.

I only said they don’t do well in pot culture due to the need for many months of Winter temp. Max of 32 degrees or lower, or they won’t come up in the spring…if your out of the proper climate you need to offer artificial freezing to succeed in pot culture! I prefer the idea of mass plantings outdoors myself! This is what I wish to have on the East side of my home22A291D3-45CD-4D7B-8307-14EB0DBBC4C2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back