Some "schlimii".

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great plants. I wish I could get mine to grow this well. Any tips?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Great plants. I wish I could get mine to grow this well. Any tips?

Jason, I am using coarse perlite with some Sphagnum to connect the porosity as growing medium. It gives a very aireated medium. The roots love to have lots of fresh air around . This medium would require more frequent watering, at least 3 times/week but works very fine.
About fertilizer, the less the better.
And the key factor: temperature. Minimum temps of 12C and maximum of 30C with big oscillations.
Hope it helps!

awesone plants....does Andreettae needs also this chamge of temperature to thrive?

awesone plants....does Andreettae needs also this chamge of temperature to thrive?

Thanks a lot! Yes, all the in Micropetalum can be grown under the same temperatures. For fischeri and andreettae it is better to keep the minimum temp a little bit higher, around 15-17C but I am growing them with min temps of 12 and are growing fine.

Cool flowers Eliseo!!!! But, comparing the flowers of schlimii and manzuri, I hardly see a difference :-( ! Jean

There is no diference but yellowish Apple green color in petals the first days, (while it opens) in fma manzurii. After a week open you cannot distinguish both. Some clnes of schlimii fma manzurii show rounder staminode but this is strongly dependent on the temperature you grow them so it cannot be used as a taxonomic character. (cooler temperaturas gives rounder staminode)
Also some populations of true schlimii from the Central Cordillera show rounded staminodes so if someone wants to keep manzurii as a true species should provide more tan a vague descripton without a key.

The key we are using right now is as follows but it is not Stone-written:

1-Spherical pouch + Fenestrations: schlimii (fma manzurii if it show yellowish petals)

2-Spherical Pouch without fenestrations: fischeri (some plants labelled as fischeri, specially the ones coming from Colombia can have a very small fenestration hidden under the synsepal). This populatios are close enough to the anguloi populations so it is posible some degree of hybridation (I am studying this topic right now).

3-Laterally compressed pouch (claceolar) without fenestrations: andreettae

4-Laterally compressed pouch (calceolar) + strong fenestrations: anguloi.

Hope it helps!

Eliseo, congrats for the nice collection. You are a Schlimii expert, definitely.

Enviado desde mi SM-P600 mediante Tapatalk

There is no diference but yellowish Apple green color in petals the first days, (while it opens) in fma manzurii. After a week open you cannot distinguish both. Some clnes of schlimii fma manzurii show rounder staminode but this is strongly dependent on the temperature you grow them so it cannot be used as a taxonomic character. (cooler temperaturas gives rounder staminode)
Also some populations of true schlimii from the Central Cordillera show rounded staminodes so if someone wants to keep manzurii as a true species should provide more tan a vague descripton without a key.

The key we are using right now is as follows but it is not Stone-written:

1-Spherical pouch + Fenestrations: schlimii (fma manzurii if it show yellowish petals)

2-Spherical Pouch without fenestrations: fischeri (some plants labelled as fischeri, specially the ones coming from Colombia can have a very small fenestration hidden under the synsepal). This populatios are close enough to the anguloi populations so it is posible some degree of hybridation (I am studying this topic right now).

3-Laterally compressed pouch (claceolar) without fenestrations: andreettae

4-Laterally compressed pouch (calceolar) + strong fenestrations: anguloi.

Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot Eliseo!!!!

Jean

Back